Opinions on our steers pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
This is our first time dealing with pinkeye. Was hoping to get some thoughts on our steers eye infection. Treated it with LA 200 according to the dosage recommended. Was wanting to know some thoughts on one treatment helping clear this up? Also what are the chances this eye will return to normal looking and function. The other eye had just started showing a small spot in it when we treated him for the badly infected eye.
Thanks for any input and information

It'll probably always be cloudy, but will have enough sight to not pass for blind.

Hopefully some others with more experience will chime in. But I'll try for now.
That looks fairly gnarly for pinkeye (compared to the cases we've had). How long since you gave the LA injection? We have had to give a second dose once or twice. I suspect others will advise a stronger med if the LA's not clearing it, and a vet visit if at all possible. Patching it may also help. Per vet, we also give a squirt of Pen G into the eye (not an injection). Whatever wyou do, don't succumb to the old advice to throw salt in it. (Learned that the hard way). If you have others, watch your other cows as well, as I'm sure you know...
Our really bad pinkeye case that had a completely occluded eye (kinda like in your pic) resolved somewhat. She was blind for a bit but did get much or most of her vision back. That said, your picture looks to my novice eye like a pretty advanced case of it...Hope some others will chime in here as well. Good luck!

Surprising how well they heal. Where I am we use a lot of mastitis preparations very successfully carefully placed between the lids, Orbeninin (cloxacillin) is actually registered for its use but still comes in a pointy tube. A patch would help as well.

LA 300 works slow to me. Draxxin or nuflor seems to speed things up. I have seen many that bad. It was probably about ready to start going the other way on its own.

Thanks all for the information above. It's been about 72 hours since we gave the shot and the eye has improved just a little. It still looks pretty much all white but not as solid white if that makes sense? I'm hopeful with more time for the medicine to work it will continue to improve.
Thanks again

Check your minerals. I would give it a shot of multimin90 if possible.

Draxxin is what I use. But it's best to catch it early and draxxin will cure it up normally

Subcutaneous is what I do. It also works great for foot rot if you ever have that. I hope you do not. It's expensive but the best that I have used

Draxxin is costly, but a white eye on sale day is to. I've gotten to where it's my go to for pinkeye.

jedstivers":1k5lpspn said:
Drax. One and done.
A patch if you can will help.
I haven't tried it but ginemicen (sp) is supposed to be great.
It is for people and horses, not sure about a cattle label though.
gentamicin (sp) too but Do not use it in Cattle. Very illegal and stays in organs for over 2 years. If you have some get rid of it. Talking to state vet inspector at meeting and after first of the year with this vfd stuff they will put you out of business if you have and use illegal drugs. Just an FYI, I used to use it also. Too much antibiotic resistance at human level. Fda thinks it is because of animal production so now they are going to being watching awfully close

TCRanch":1yl9uwpr said:
I've never had one that bad but agree with the others, it's amazing how well they heal. I use LA300 and spray the eye at least once daily with Vetericyn.

That's what I do if I catch it early. I give one (maybe two if needed) shot of LA300 along with spaying Vetericyn in the eye once a day for 3 or 4 days. Before I spay the Vetericyn, I throw some sugar in the eye first. The sugar is gritty and will break up the protective membrane that has formed over the eye because of the pink eye, this allows the Vetericyn to work better.

If I don't catch it early or If I don't have a chute handy, Draxxin is what I use. It's for sure the best treatment but pretty spendy if you have to treat that many. For that steer, I would have went straight to Draxxin.

Latest posts