Open heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

MOFarmer2013

Reaction score
I bought 35 2 year old heifers from an individual. They have been exposed to bulls since August. I got them for a discount because he advertised them as bred heifers, but they were not pregnancy checked. When I put them in my pen my bull has mounted about 10 of them. I'm getting ready to preg check all of them. My questions is... what would you guys advise I do with the open ones? Would you sell them and a take a loss or would you give them a chance with our bull?

since theyve been exposed to the bulls twice any open heifers when you palpate them would go to the sale barn.because any late breeders are problems.an you may have some heifers that wont breed for 1 reason or another.

I would give your bull a shot at them. You have calves to gain, and feed to lose, but you already spent good money on them so why not see how they do? JMO

Some variable in this situation. You say exposed to a bull since August. Is that Aug 1 or Aug 31? How long with a bull? Since your bull has mounted 10 out of 35 since you got them I would be questioning his bull. How long have they been with your bull? I am thinking I would give them 45 days with a bull who has passed a BSE.

Have they had a lepto shot? Probably should make sure they have and give them 60 days with a bull you know is good, unless you want your money out to buy something else, you may wait and get them all bred or it may waste your time.

I can't give a real good answer because I wouldn't buy any open heifers, if somebody gave me what you have today, I would keep the bred ones, and sell anything that is open tommorow, then put the money in to pairs or bred cows. So there's my answer for what I would personally do, and my answer for what you could also do that might work.

MOFarmer2013":3jf4rt2t said:
I bought 35 2 year old heifers from an individual. They have been exposed to bulls since August. I got them for a discount because he advertised them as bred heifers, but they were not pregnancy checked. When I put them in my pen my bull has mounted about 10 of them. I'm getting ready to preg check all of them. My questions is... what would you guys advise I do with the open ones? Would you sell them and a take a loss or would you give them a chance with our bull?
Got them for a discount because they were advertised as bred but not?????? So the discount was for heifers he "knew" were open but was trying to sell as bred????? If you knew they were open when you bought them, that's one thing....but if you bought bred heifers it's another.>>>> Now....how old are they? Were they of breeding age and condition? Is the place you bought them have a reputation for shady dealing? I'd be mighty unhappy if I bought and paid for 35 bred heifers and 3 months later have 10 or more open heifers.

This is happening quite a bit. Good cows are hard to find, so people buy exposed cattle that aren't pregnancy checked because they know the next looker will buy the cattle, without being checked. So, you take a chance and buy them before the next guy and see what happens. The information you do not provide is if you sell the open heifers, how much will you lose? If they weigh around 1,000 lbs and open, they will bring around 1.30-1.40 per pound, here. So, it depends on how much you will lose. If you will lose too much to stomach, then keep them with your bulls and sell them as springers or keep them, when the time comes. If you won't lose much per head, then sell them now and put the money into something else.
One thing to remember is that if the bull was put in close to Aug. 31, then the first breeders are only 3 months bred and most of the time they have to be 6 weeks to 2 months bred before they will preg check bred. So, if you sell now, you may be selling several short bred heifers, even though you are sure that 10 have bred since you got them. Good luck in your decision

jerry27150":3ncce05s said:
anytime someone says cows or heifers were exposed, buy them as opens. I would be hollering to the guy who sold them to you
Can't really holler at the guy when the op bought them knowing they aren't checked. If the seller thought they were Telly bred he would have checked them and sold them as bred heifers Instead of exposed heifers and not given that discount mentioned in the first post.

I would suggest a blood test for any that palpated open. It's a chance they are extremely short bred. I wouldn't winter anything that's open.

stocky":2x1g0klk said:
This is happening quite a bit. Good cows are hard to find, so people buy exposed cattle that aren't pregnancy checked because they know the next looker will buy the cattle, without being checked. So, you take a chance and buy them before the next guy and see what happens. The information you do not provide is if you sell the open heifers, how much will you lose? If they weigh around 1,000 lbs and open, they will bring around 1.30-1.40 per pound, here. So, it depends on how much you will lose. If you will lose too much to stomach, then keep them with your bulls and sell them as springers or keep them, when the time comes. If you won't lose much per head, then sell them now and put the money into something else.
One thing to remember is that if the bull was put in close to Aug. 31, then the first breeders are only 3 months bred and most of the time they have to be 6 weeks to 2 months bred before they will preg check bred. So, if you sell now, you may be selling several short bred heifers, even though you are sure that 10 have bred since you got them. Good luck in your decision

A 1000lb open heifer sold for beef brings 1300-1400 dollars there? :eek:

I doesn't sound like the original owner was a good manager. You would not suspect these gals had access to proper minerals if management was inadequate. Innoculations and worming? Loose mineral makes a big difference in fertility. If you have winter forage or hay, you might give it a chance to work for you. Since I don't have a "calving season" as some on here do, my perspective differs. Get them on good mineral, palpate and cull later. Prices seem to go up in the spring around here anyway.

If you are set on a calving season, they might not work out for you. If you are calving on 10 1/2 to 11 month intervals and leaving the bull in the herd full time, I'd give them some time. You obviously took a risk to begin with.

MOFarmer2013":15zmjx2q said:
Did your bull simply try to mount them or did you see him actually breed them?? What is their body condition?

If you can find someone that ultrasounds, you can check them as soon as 30-35 days bred.

Latest posts