open cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
I have a cow I bought a year ago November. She was supposedly bred but when I preg tested her she was open. I Ai'd her last December & she did not take. I put her with a bull this summer. I preg tested her just last week & she is open again. I am almost positive this guy just sold me all his problems & was not very honest. Now , my question is how can I lessen my loss? Should I send her in to our butcher & sell her for hamburger? Should I grain her more before I send her in? She already is a very big cow. She is supposedly around 5 years old. Or do I sell her somewhere else?Auction? Where are my chances of not losing so much on her? Have a blessed Christmas!

Here's an option that we frequently use. Butcher her, have her ground, then donate the meat to a local charity. On your taxes you can write it of (not completely, but some) and decalre it as x poounds at whatever the highest price burger is in your area. Also you can do the butcher costs. Problem is, if it's a business you'll have to declare the money as income I think. Not sure but your tax person will know.
We have a local facility for domestic abuse women and children and they sure do appreciate the meat.

dun

Latest posts