open balancer heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
Found some nice open Balancer heifers that that the guy wants $900 each. These are commercial and I thought a little steep for open heifers in our current cattle economy but maybe I'm just a tightwad.

Sounds kinda steep for grade cattle to me, too. Although many areas have had a tough winter so the seller might well have more into them than usual from feeding them over the winter.

And I'm on the other side of the fence. Granted, I raise PB cattle, but it takes nearly $1000 investment to get heifers (good grade or PB) to breeding age. I have that much in ours, but more importantly, I have read many articles saying the same thing.
I'm sure there are "no managment" farms that have "0" input in heifers, but you get "0" output!
If they have been raised up properly and are ready to breed, good deal.

cattlepower":2g9sbw9j said:
Found some nice open Balancer heifers that that the guy wants $900 each. These are commercial and I thought a little steep for open heifers in our current cattle economy but maybe I'm just a tightwad.

Depending on their size and age, they are from too high to way too high for commercial open heifers in mid TN.

cattlepower":27hf1hic said:

You didn't say what they look like, what kind of herd they are from and how old they are. 900 seems a little high but if they are dandies then maybe they are worth it.

On the other hand I just bought an amazing registered red Gelbvieh heifer for $1000 last week and if I would have taken all 4 I coulda had them for 900 ea.

Couple of local cattlemen (both experienced) called them grade #1 heifers. If bought what would be the best choice of a bull to put on them?

cattlepower":m0qew46w said:
Couple of local cattlemen (both experienced) called them grade #1 heifers. If bought what would be the best choice of a bull to put on them?

Are you talking AI or natural service?

cattlepower":4j6tyeta said:

IMO, for commercial open heifers that's a bit steep. Can he provide the papers to go with them? If it were possible, I'd put a calving ease Angus bull (with marbling) on them and retain ownership on the calves through the feedlot. Lots of states have some sort of retained ownership program for producers. You'll learn a lot about your cow herd while they're young. :)

cattlepower":lb8wctda said:

Where do you live and what do you plan to do with the calves, specifically the heifers?

$900 sounds a little high for open heifers. See if you can find some sale results for some Gelbvieh sales, sometimes the breed associations publish them.

Latest posts