Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Got our DNA results back last week on our ET calves. I test any calves that dam got an egg that calve within two weeks of due date. Two came back as not ET calves one was a stud of a calf the other was a heifer. I though they might of just been late since both were nice size calves, but alas they weren't. Then had two that qualified to the donor not the sire oops! Turned out that my two SAV Reign calves are actually SAV Rainfall calves, no matter I like them so am very happy we got it worked out. I also turned in the DNA on bull calves that made the cut at weaning two calves that we thought were AI calves are actually natural service sired, again no big deal they made the cut based on performance and phenotype. Makes you wonder how many cows and bulls are running around that aren't who you thought they were.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
Got our DNA results back last week on our ET calves. I test any calves that dam got an egg that calve within two weeks of due date. Two came back as not ET calves one was a stud of a calf the other was a heifer. I though they might of just been late since both were nice size calves, but alas they weren't. Then had two that qualified to the donor not the sire oops! Turned out that my two SAV Reign calves are actually SAV Rainfall calves, no matter I like them so am very happy we got it worked out. I also turned in the DNA on bull calves that made the cut at weaning two calves that we thought were AI calves are actually natural service sired, again no big deal they made the cut based on performance and phenotype. Makes you wonder how many cows and bulls are running around that aren't who you thought they were.

Gizmom

In answer to your last question I'd say a whole lot more than most would admit.

I feel it innocently happens probably quite a bit more than we think. DNA testing can sort sort that out. Few years ago we had a bull calf that was born a day after the AI date of a timed AI project. It was a week before we put the bull in after AI'ing. The calf grew out and was an impressive calf. We thought surely it was a Hoover Dam calf. At weaning we sent in the hair samples of our calves we registered. That calf came back to not be a Hoover Dam, he was by our Bismarck son. I feel in that case both sites would have been calving ease with comparable growth traits. I see a potential problem if there is a mix up and the actual site of a calf is something very different than the intended one. Especially if one is seeking a calving ease bull and ends up with a terminal type sire or vice versa. DNA testing is a very good insurance policy.

We had a calf one time that originally did not DNA back to the sire. It was an embryo, dam was SS U Nights Misty and the sire was supposed to be Lock n Load. It was the third embryo, and the other two DNA'd back to LNL, so we were all confused. They typed the calf to every sire that cow was ever flushed to, and all came back no match. Again, scratch your head... We sent another blood sample off, and this time it typed to Lock n Load. So the DNA can be bad also.

How does that work,with 2 brothers.."""if I'm reading it right" , with the same pedigree...could it be in the actual test, and not a screw up on the breeders part?

Red Bull Breeder said:
DNA is not without faults Bama. Its wrong to sometimes.
Was Just thinking,as close knit as some of those sires are.. That something like that could easily happen, in a standard test.but i don't have a clue how advanced their system is....

ALACOWMAN said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
DNA is not without faults Bama. Its wrong to sometimes.
Was Just thinking,as close knit as some of those sires are.. That something like that could easily happen, in a standard test.but i don't have a clue how advanced their system is....
I would say its pretty accurate Bama. But like most things human errors and computer gliches happen.

I sent DNA in on a calf a few years ago. I listed all sires that we used for AI that year plus the clean up bull. I had one calf come back qualifying to two of the bulls on the list. I called them and they said he was out of the AI sire I had thought he was out of and to disregard the other.

I just looked back at the results. It was actually a heifer that happened too. The sire that she qualified to that wasn't actually her sire was EPIC😱. Maybe that's because his Pedigree is actually very similar to the bull I had AI'd the cow too. It seems that DNA isn't fool proof. Another thing that could have been a factor was that the heifer was infertile. The AI technician said she didn't have all her girls bits.

The cow was flushed at our partners I was not there so don't know what happened. The important thing is we got it straightened out, calves look really good. NE I still want to flush the cow to Reign I really like the bull, he was my favorite of the flush brothers that I have seen, and I didn't see one I didn't like. We have some Resource and Sensations on the ground out of the 913 donor that are really nice as well. It is always exciting to see how these matings turn out.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
The cow was flushed at our partners I was not there so don't know what happened. The important thing is we got it straightened out, calves look really good. NE I still want to flush the cow to Reign I really like the bull, he was my favorite of the flush brothers that I have seen, and I didn't see one I didn't like. We have some Resource and Sensations on the ground out of the 913 donor that are really nice as well. It is always exciting to see how these matings turn out.

Gizmom

Do you have a FB page that I could follow with your calves? I value your breeding choices.

Latest posts