Online parts

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Need a bearing assembly and cv axle for a f150. Local Autozone has them looking at $350 for both. Found them online at Parts geek for what amounts to about half that. Anybody use them before? All these parts are made in China anymore so dont see where that makes a difference.
Only other thing I noticed is they list what appears to be identical parts with different sku# usually a few bucks difference. Same manufacturer and specs just makes me wonder. I know cheaper isnt always cheaper but also often it is the same parts.

I haven't used Parts Geek but I've used RockAuto.com and I have ordered some auto parts from Amazon. Many times the same brands as the local parts store but at a lower cost. You just have to watch the shipping costs.

I have used RockAuto many times. As J+ said, the shipping can eat up what you are saving though. I usually buy other stuff to try and offset the shipping cost. Their windshield wipers are pretty cheap and I can always use those.

Thanks for the feedback. The hubs were free shipping but looked like the axle may have had to pay for. I didn't get to deep into it til I checked around. I will look at Rockauto. Thanks

Things like plugs, brake pads and high wear items buying name brand online (Ebay Amazon) a lot of times you get fakes that are inferior quality. Things like rotors, axles, bearings about all are made in China, etc. I get them at the best price or check with local junk yards if possible. I needed a wheel bearing for a Honda as the bearing was $90 and had to be pressed in. I got the whole complete assembly shipped to my door for $75 from a junk yard (just bolted it on).

I try to use my local NAPA for most everything, but if I'm working on a beater and there's a huge spread in price I've used Rock Auto a good bit. Might have a valid coupon code for them if you would like it.

I buy a lot off rock auto if I have the time to wait for the part, Watch the shipping, they ship from multiple warehouses which can seriously affect shipping cost. Always check local prices so you know where your at on price, if not saving significant money it isn't worth it.

The truck I drive everyday has a cheaper alternator on it, it's simple to replace. Wheel bearings and ball joints are good quality parts. Name brands don't mean a lot on some things, I've bought things with the same part number as a chain store just in a different box.

I'm as cheap as they come....but when it comes to "sealed wheel hub bearings" learned my lesson...china bearings are bad out of the box, waste your time installation and removal after a week. Go with name brand Moog. Heavy duty and tolerances are not found in Chinese parts, Even rubber is sub-par in China. I buy brass fittings from China...something solid steel or brass that doesn't move (no moving parts).... they get right.

I bought front hubs for 3/4 ram from Rock Auto
1/2 price on Moog parts from them compared to same Moog part number at local parts store
very good service

I like to buy local when I can, even if it means paying a little more. Sometimes by the time you factor in the shipping it's actually cheaper to buy local. But not always.
I am concerned that the starter is on the way out on my Polaris ATV. The Polaris price is in the neighbourhood of $300. I ordered one a couple of days ago online for $80 delivered. Time will tell if this is a good buy or not, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I agree on the mom and pop stuff and buying local most of the time. The NAPA store here is ridiculous price wise and I have not had great luck with their parts in the last few years. Then they are a pain on returns also. Other two are national chains and I have had the best luck with Autozone.

Would gladly pay extra for quality or service just dont want to pay more for the same crappy Chinese part that I usually have to help them look up anyway.

I agree on the mom and pop stuff and buying local most of the time. The NAPA store here is ridiculous price wise and I have not had great luck with their parts in the last few years. Then they are a pain on returns also. Other two are national chains and I have had the best luck with Autozone.

Would gladly pay extra for quality or service just dont want to pay more for the same crappy Chinese part that I usually have to help them look up anyway.
What really gets me is when I go to a local shop but they don't have inventory and then order from the same website I would have.

I like to buy local when I can, even if it means paying a little more. Sometimes by the time you factor in the shipping it's actually cheaper to buy local. But not always.
I am concerned that the starter is on the way out on my Polaris ATV. The Polaris price is in the neighbourhood of $300. I ordered one a couple of days ago online for $80 delivered. Time will tell if this is a good buy or not, but I figured it was worth a shot.
I did the same with my old suzuki 4 wheeler.
Starter has been ok so far. Been a couple years actually

I shop my local parts house. They know what I expect, and I don't complain or haggle. Walk in, get a cup of coffee, visit about our kids and grandkids, and that monster buck. Finally get around to telling them what I need. Next thing I know, it's on the counter. They can afford to stock parts at reasonable prices when local folks buy from them.

The added benefit is, when my wife or kids need something, I can tell to go to Southern Supply and put it on my tab.

I shop my local parts house. They know what I expect, and I don't complain or haggle. Walk in, get a cup of coffee, visit about our kids and grandkids, and that monster buck. Finally get around to telling them what I need. Next thing I know, it's on the counter. They can afford to stock parts at reasonable prices when local folks buy from them.

The added benefit is, when my wife or kids need something, I can tell to go to Southern Supply and put it on my tab.
Some stores are really good, we have a Pat's Auto in town and it shares a building with JP's driveline (same parent company?). Those guys carry stock, are reasonably priced, and the driveline guy can fix or build any driveline much cheaper than OEM. I enjoy supporting businesses like that for sure.

Latest posts