One horse and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a bull calf get out near a busy highway once and couldnt get him in with anything.The police got involved and they wanted to put a bullet in him.I went and got this old ranch horse someone had given us and he ran the calf home faster than I could saddle him.Isold that bull for 2800.00 as a yrlg.
That horse paid for himself!

grubbie":3af6bisa said:
Although the horses I see around here lately are far from cow horses. I don't think too many people know what they are anymore.

grubbie I saw one heck of a cow pony sell at an auction a few years back. That horse had been working every day of his life. My arms had to be folded to keep from bidding, and I don't use horses for anything.

backhoeboogie":2zypix7x said:
grubbie":2zypix7x said:
Although the horses I see around here lately are far from cow horses. I don't think too many people know what they are anymore.

grubbie I saw one heck of a cow pony sell at an auction a few years back. That horse had been working every day of his life. My arms had to be folded to keep from bidding, and I don't use horses for anything.

Yeah, I bet! They are hard to find. A guy a couple years ago offered to move some bulls for me cause his "cow ponies" could use the workout. I can't speak for the one he was on, could have been the rider. But the one I was on wouldn't go, then once he got going wouldn't stop. Wouldn't turn either. It wasn't a race horse either. Not sure what it was but if Dun had been around he'd have been soaked in BBQ sauce for sure. About wore out a pair of spurs on that critter.

alot the> real< cow sence has been bred out of the modern quarter horse. in favor of a sleek athlete. you can make about any of em run cattle or make a decent rope horse out of one..but you cant cant put the real want to in them.. just the have too

I saw a quote one time... "Growing grass for the cows, cows to train the horses, and horses to train the kids." Either way, I like having my horses and my girls are starting to enjoy them as well. I think I may be the last guy in East Texas to not have a 4 wheeler.

backhoeboogie":2wazib86 said:
grubbie":2wazib86 said:

Some good horses in Mexico but the crossing fees double the prices.

Dusty Roads":3gea9112 said:
I have to agree with the hippie, a good horse will allow you to mingle among the cows a lot easer.
Even though horse meat does bar-b-que quite well, you do not get to mentor states without responding to every post. If you check the history on some of thiese chaps you will find a great deal of them consist of smartelic remarks because they do not have an inelegent answer to the post and they have to keep the numbers up to outdo the other guy. Keep up the good work dun there may be a metal in it for you some day. D.R.

My bet is that Dun has forgotten more about cattle and working them than you ever will!
As menter statesdon't think i recognize where that is :roll: and i doubt that he has any desire to get any metalor medal for that matter.

I don't have to have a horse, but I like to. We work the cows on foot more times then not, but there have been times that I was glad I had a horse. No matter how good of shape your in you can't out run a cow, if your on a horse you can. Plus, I enjoy riding. If I wasn't riding I'd probably be sitting around doing nothing.

It depends on if you are use to working cattle horse back. IF you aren't you can cause alot of problems for yourself and waste alot of money. IF you are then it helps to have a horse handy.

I move alot of cattle with just my MULE or truck but I usually have a couple horses numbers in my phone just in case. :lol:

I use a 4wheeler and a sack of feed to work my girls. All they gotta do is hear the 4wheeler and they all come begging.Ive learned to lead cattle not herd. Although I have used the neighbor with his cutting horse a couple times in 3yrs.
On our north place the feller that joins us raises and trains cutting horses for a living.Since we bought the land from him one of his arena's is on us. When checking cattle I stop and watch the training.I have spent a lot of time watching ,and will have to say it's one of the most enjoying things I've had the fortune to see. It just amazes me to watch a good cutting horse work. He helped me one day get a calf back in the pasture and told me the little mare he was riding was for sale for $40,000 and would have no problem selling. I do know he goes all over showing horses.

Cal

Latest posts