One consolation calf

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Our previous bull ended up with serious fertility issues after a bout of 3 day sickness. We have ten cows and we assumed none of them had gotten pregnant. The bull must have had one good shot left in him. This little silver guy turned up last week.

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

Andrew

Not to change the subject but I seen my first herd of Highlands the other day I have seen a few singles at the fair and the sale barns but I was on my way home from JedStivers place down in Arkansas and I seen a herd of them in a pasture along the road and they scared me :lol: wife asked what the heck are those ugly things

I am not sure if I was in Northern Arkansas or southern Mo

When I read your post I had to laugh out loud not at you but it reminded me of me. I have had the worst year possible with cows. I had to cull two cows and their calves due to Johne's. Then paid a vet to AI 7 heifers to which none took my bull I used for clean up only bred one. Had him checked everything was good must have been his libido culled him and a cow that prolapsed while calving. So I had to buy a new bull left him out for 45 days and just had everything biopryn tested and all but 2 are bred, but I think it is them because he is doing his job and it looks like the others were bred their first heat so they will be leaving this next week. Oh and now the new bull is limping. I think he may have pulled something in his shoulder one of those 2 heifers was in heat on the 8 th. I went to a AI class this summer and I am hoping things can only get better from here.

aussie cowgirl wrote:

What breed was the sire?

Murray grey

Angus Cowman wrote:

I was on my way home from JedStivers place down in Arkansas and I seen a herd of them in a pasture along the road and they scared me wife asked what the heck are those ugly things

Our front paddock is on a road into a national park so we get heaps of tourists driving along. When the cattle are in the front we often get people pulling up, getting out and taking photos. They certainly stand out when you've driven past nothing but angus cattle for miles.

Katie wrote

When I read your post I had to laugh out loud not at you but it reminded me of me. I have had the worst year possible with cows. I had to cull two cows and their calves due to Johne's. Then paid a vet to AI 7 heifers to which none took my bull I used for clean up only bred one. Had him checked everything was good must have been his libido culled him and a cow that prolapsed while calving. So I had to buy a new bull left him out for 45 days and just had everything biopryn tested and all but 2 are bred, but I think it is them because he is doing his job and it looks like the others were bred their first heat so they will be leaving this next week. Oh and now the new bull is limping. I think he may have pulled something in his shoulder one of those 2 heifers was in heat on the 8 th. I went to a AI class this summer and I am hoping things can only get better from here.

Ouch!!! and I thought we'd had bad luck with bulls. Our first bull was injured being loaded into the trailer and had no sexual drive. The second bull was infertile and so it's been 2 years and one calf to show for it. Like yourself we're hoping things will improve with our third bull.

Andrew

Ouch!!! and I thought we'd had bad luck with bulls. Our first bull was injured being loaded into the trailer and had no sexual drive. The second bull was infertile and so it's been 2 years and one calf to show for it. Like yourself we're hoping things will improve with our third bull.

Andrew[/quote]
Every one thought I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them our first bull had no sex drive. They said they had never heard of any thing like that so makes me feel a little better to know I am not the only one that has had this problem.

Latest posts