On the ringworm topic...

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo

Reaction score
I'm not sure who suggested using the athlete's foot spray to treat ringworm, but THANK YOU. :) I used both Micatin and Dr. Scholl's on 30 odd calves this weekend, and I'm starting to see improvement already. The Micatin treated calves are responding faster.

My old treatment method of using grease and/or used motor oil used to take a week or more before showing signs of improvement.

Rod

it'll go away on its own in about the same amount of time. generally. if it spreads it will take longer.

DiamondSCattleCo":h3ppc3br said:
I used both Micatin and Dr. Scholl's on 30 odd calves this weekend, and I'm starting to see improvement already. The Micatin treated calves are responding faster.

Rod, are you going to tell these companies about your "study?" Might be the start of a whole new advertising campaign for Micatin.

Beefy":1ieuc6s9 said:
it'll go away on its own in about the same amount of time. generally. if it spreads it will take longer.

Perhaps in Georgia it will go away in that kind of time span. I'm in Northern Saskatchewan and ringworm, depending on when the calves get it, can persist for 3 - 4 months. These calves got it in December, and would have likely had it right up until March.

Rod

Gale Seddon":2r2zy7ly said:
Rod, are you going to tell these companies about your "study?" Might be the start of a whole new advertising campaign for Micatin.

:lol: Maybe I should. Its gotta be worth a case of the stuff anyway :lol:

Does the Micatin damage the hair or just clear up the ring worm? The reason I ask on show calves we try to save the hair if ring worm hits.

It was I who posted about the foot spray used on Ringworms, I'm glad it worked for you. Here ringworm can persist for months if not treated. I've never seen a case go away on it's own. Maybe it has somethin to do with our high temps and humidity, I dont know. It dont take long for the hair to grow back and cover the place where the ring worm was.

I've got ringworm again this year, about 1 out of 3 animals. 75% of the animals that have it it is concentrated on the face, specifically around the eye area.

I think it is on the downslide heading out. But I was curious to know if you spray yours around the eye area. I would be worried about damaging an eye.... :?:

Ours too, when we get ringworm it runs from about nov/dec to feb/mar.

mitchwi":xy2isl6o said:
I think it is on the downslide heading out. But I was curious to know if you spray yours around the eye area. I would be worried about damaging an eye.... :?:

I was concerned about it too, and was taking care to hold a glove over the eyes before spraying. One wild little heifer shook at the wrong time and got a healthy blast right in her eye. Didn't hurt her a bit. Never even stung, and a week later she's still seeing well.

Rod

We used the athletes foot spray on a bull's tail this past fall...cleared it up in a few days and hair regrowth started in a couple of weeks. Didn't like the sound of the spray can but tolerated the procedure...DMc

Latest posts