On a more serious note..Alzheimer cure may be right around the corner

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
The incurable Alzheimer's disease may now have a cure. A new research by the University of Manchester shows that the most common form of dementia can be fully cured with an anti-inflammatory drug, commonly used for period pain.

Almost 7.5 million new cases of Alzheimer's — a disease that causes acute problems with memory, thinking ability and behavior — diagnosed around the world every year. In the United States, about five million people currently suffer from the degenerative disease that has claimed one in three senior citizens with some form of dementia.

The team, led by Dr. David Brough, worked with mice to find that a common Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) routinely used to relieve menstrual pain — mefenamic acid — completely reversed the inflammation of the brain and lost memory in the specimen.

Mefenamic acid is available as a generic drug and is sold under a variety of brand names.

For the study, 20 mice were genetically altered to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimer's. Ten of these were treated with mefenamic acid by using a mini-pump under their skin for one month, while the other 10 mice were treated in the same way with a placebo.

Researchers found that the mice treated with mefenamic acid saw a complete reversal of memory loss, while the placebo group's condition remained unchanged
http://www.ibtimes.com/alzheimers-disea ... ws-2401212
One can only hope.

Ponstel is the brand name of the drug available with prescription. Wholesale generic cost is $13.28 per pill when buying a minimum of 100. This is the druggist cost and not the customers cost.i

gizmom":3td12y1j said:
I pray this is the answer, such a horrible disease.

gizmom

Debateable. I have often wondered which is worse. To lose ones mind or lose ones physical capabilities. Dementia is definitely difficult on the loved ones of the afflicted, but the afflicted generally seem pretty content until the end stage.
I worked a secure Alzheimers unit when I was new to nursing for a few years, and the hurt you see some of the spouses and children suffer was heartbreaking.

I have 2 brothers-in-law with it and my father had it. I think it's worse than a physical ailment. At least with a physical ailment you know and understand--with dementia, it seems ya don't know or can't comprehend there is anything wrong. Or both. I've seen lots of those folks get really angry when you try to explain to them that they are ill.

I hope it proves to be the cure also :clap:

Then we can be like Forest Gump when Lt Dan told called him and said they didn't have to worry bout money no more. Forest said "good, one less thing." :nod:

bball":28r73dhr said:
gizmom":28r73dhr said:
I pray this is the answer, such a horrible disease.

gizmom

Debateable. I have often wondered which is worse. To lose ones mind or lose ones physical capabilities. Dementia is definitely difficult on the loved ones of the afflicted, but the afflicted generally seem pretty content until the end stage.
I worked a secure Alzheimers unit when I was new to nursing for a few years, and the hurt you see some of the spouses and children suffer was heartbreaking.

I would say the mind, based on my best friends father who was a minister with a PhD, published, well known. Seeing him reduced from a brilliant, strong man to nothing more than a shell with irrational thoughts & a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush was heartbreaking for me, can't begin to imaging how she (and her family) felt. And yet he had moments of lucidity, almost seemed to realize what was happening & the fact that he no longer had any control. I just pray there is, in fact, a cure.

hurleyjd":1v2273b6 said:
Ponstel is the brand name of the drug available with prescription. Wholesale generic cost is $13.28 per pill when buying a minimum of 100. This is the druggist cost and not the customers cost.i

Holy cow that's a high-dollar item. :?

greybeard":1dwwt7vz said:
I have 2 brothers-in-law with it and my father had it. I think it's worse than a physical ailment. At least with a physical ailment you know and understand--with dementia, it seems ya don't know or can't comprehend there is anything wrong.

Currently, we are dealing with this with my mother. :( One of my brothers and myself are the ones dealing with her on a daily basis, me on the phone with her daily and going down to where she lives about once a month, and him going to her house, at least every other day.

At this time, she still "cares" for herself. But.............

With dad, it was physical.

I have to agree, the dementia is more difficult. Mom is confused more and more each day.

Certainly do not want to minimize the disease. To clarify, I just wonder which is worse? To be trapped in your own mind with a body that doesn't work, or to be trapped in a body with a mind that doesn't work. Both are horrible.
I have seen both sides personally and professionally.
I do hope the medication proves to be a cure.

Latest posts