omlette recipee needed..with pics

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Just bought an awesome new omelet pan, now I need a no fault ,fluffy egg recipe. I will be starting out with an Edam cheese, ham and mushroom omelette to begin with. Any hands on experience with a fab, no fail recipe will be greatly appreciated.
The great thing about this new cookware is that it is completely stove top and oven safe..

Thank you.. :)

My favorite omelet is made with *fresh baby spinach leaves (sliced into small strips) *chopped fresh tomato * crumbed feta cheese *a little salt & red pepper to taste. Serve with avocado slices on the side... yum... I'm making myself hungry, guess I'm having that for breakfast. Have fun with your new omelet pan.

Now i have been told to add a little water to the eggs when you are beating them and that will make them fluffy.
Now i use a little whipping cream instead. I like the way they both turn out.

I like chopped ham and cheddar cheese in my omelet. A girl I knew years ago made what she called a Mexican omelet. She would put down some chopped ham, green onions, and a couple of different cheese's and then she topped it with salsa.

Dang you, read this post and now I'm starting a sausage and colby jack cheese omlete with a little onion... Hashbrowns on the side and toast.

I picked the wrong day to start eating healthier.
Alan

Disclaimer: never tried this myself, BUT...
A fellow who makes the best barbecue pork I know of swears by a little powdered coffee creamer in scrambled eggs.
Try it at your own risk. ;-)

Thanks all ,I will give the omelette a go tomorrow morning for hubby. They say to flip it,,, how the heck to I do that. My talent ends at breaking an egg with one hand... :lol2: :help:

Will let you know and may post pictures of an omelette on my ceiling ... ;-)

hillsdown":3ux90j4p said:
Just bought an awesome new omelet pan, now I need a no fault ,fluffy egg recipe. I will be starting out with an Edam cheese, ham and mushroom omelette to begin with. Any hands on experience with a fab, no fail recipe will be greatly appreciated.
The great thing about this new cookware is that it is completely stove top and oven safe..

Thank you.. :)

Okay, I got hungry this morning and really didn't answer your question. I mix a little milk in the eggs and whip them real well to try to make them fluffy. I'm not sure what your pan looks like, I assume it's not the type of omlete pan that has two halves with a hinge in the middle so you just cook the eggs on both sides and put eggs and ingredients on the other... then just close the sides together when the eggs are cooked. I have always just cooked my 3 egg omlete in a frying pan, add cheese, meat, veggies to half of it and when the eggs look cooked enough just fold the egg only half over the top of the other. I should also say, after I flip the egg only half on top of the other half I'll add a tablespoon of water near the side of the hot frying pan and cover it quickly to add steam to help melt the cheese quicker and heat things up fast.

My omletes don't always look pretty..... who cares after a couple of bites.

Alan

The basics of great omlets.

Eggs at or near room temperature.

Eggs as nature made them. ADD NOTHING

Beat the eggs the minimum amount possible the whites need to retain some integrity.

Pour them in the skillet and use MODERATE heat at most.

Swirl the pan as they cook to build depth and if you like lift the edge a bit and let some liquid run underneath.

Flip when almost cooked and THEN add ingredients all of which shold be exactly as you want to eat them.

Fold in half and serve. MAYBE turning it back over ONCE

An omlet is not a cooking vessel it is a serving vessel.

DO NOT BURN THE EGGS.................burned eggs taste like poop.....burned poop

Ok HD, here are two recipes for you-
The 'fluffy' one-
Seperate eggs, add a little water to egg whites and whisk well
Season yolks with salt & pepper and beat
Fold yolk into white gently
Pour into medium heated pan, cover with lid, when egg mix doubles in size remove from stove and place under grill
When golden brown, remove & quickly spoon on topping and grated cheese (cheddar)
Place under grill again until cheese has melted, remove and fold over.
Topping-creamy mushroom & mince meat. Sprinkle with chopped chives
I usually make one big omelette instead of a couple of small ones.

The 'rich' one-
Fry onion, bacon/ham, pepper, chilli, basil, salt & pepper
Beat eggs
Pour eggs into heated pan and allow eggs to set a little(just the bottom)
Add the fried mix plus a little grated cheese to egg in pan and stir in lightly without disturbing the bottom
Cover with lid and allow to set, remove from stove,add more grated cheese on the top of omelette(cheddar/roquefort) and grill
Don't fold or flip-just cut it into slices :D

alisonb":2pz1a2cu said:
Ok HD, here are two recipes for you-
The 'fluffy' one-
Seperate eggs, add a little water to egg whites and whisk well
Season yolks with salt & pepper and beat
Fold yolk into white gently
Pour into medium heated pan, cover with lid, when egg mix doubles in size remove from stove and place under grill
When golden brown, remove & quickly spoon on topping and grated cheese (cheddar)
Place under grill again until cheese has melted, remove and fold over.
Topping-creamy mushroom & mince meat. Sprinkle with chopped chives
I usually make one big omelette instead of a couple of small ones.

The 'rich' one-
Fry onion, bacon/ham, pepper, chilli, basil, salt & pepper
Beat eggs
Pour eggs into heated pan and allow eggs to set a little(just the bottom)
Add the fried mix plus a little grated cheese to egg in pan and stir in lightly without disturbing the bottom
Cover with lid and allow to set, remove from stove,add more grated cheese on the top of omelette(cheddar/roquefort) and grill
Don't fold or flip-just cut it into slices :D

No offense Alison but those are Frittata recipes not omlets. They sound great though.

It turned out better than I thought and hubby said it was delicious. I used 3ways recipe. I even managed to flip it.. :D It is very time consuming though, but well worth it.. :nod:

Tonight we are supposed to be making crab cakes for the first time so if they turn out I will post pics of them..

My new saute/omelette pan
IMG_2419.jpg

The ham/mushroom/cheese omelette. Hubby's also had red pepper and onions.
IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

OUTSTANDING Hillsdown you hit it right on the head the first time. That's exactly what it's supposed to look like. Nice pan too!!!!

3waycross":ozzq6b1l said:
OUTSTANDING Hillsdown you hit it right on the head the first time. That's exactly what it's supposed to look like. Nice pan too!!!!
Thanks 3WC, I am so glad they turned out. :D
Nikki and I could only eat 2/3 rds of it though, a little too much, but was very delicious. The pan is awesome, off for a run now and then will be starting the crab cakes .If anyone has some helpful hints with those, all help would be appreciated.. :tiphat:

Looks good HD, snazzy pan. Was that tomato on steroids :p .

3waycross":gf8iqrrt said:
No offense Alison but those are Frittata recipes not omlets.
Frittata is the Italian word for omelette ;-) . The first omelette recipe is actually a 'souffle' omelette, it comes out really nice and fluffy and one can obviously use whatever filling one desires :D .

alisonb":6ixb2y9f said:
Looks good HD, snazzy pan. Was that tamato on steroids :p .

3waycross":6ixb2y9f said:
No offense Alison but those are Frittata recipes not omlets.
Frittata is the Italian word for omelette ;-) . The first omelette recipe is actually a 'souffle' omelette, it comes out really nice and fluffy and one can obviously use whatever filling one desires :D .

Alison...I am Italian. I know the difference. A frittata is not folded. An omlet is. You can call it what you like, we finish all of our Frittatas in the oven that's the way my grandmother (from Italy) taught my Father and how he taught me.

The omlet recipe I posted came from a french chef whom I sold food to for 10 years. An omlet never sees the oven. A souffle of course only sees the oven. I am not picking a fight but one of us has been in the food business for 27 years and I am pretty sure it's me.

BTW if you want a really light "souffle" omlet add a pinch of baking powder to the eggs and when you put it under the broiler it will puff up. When we make one like that we sometimes put strips of cheese on it and let the egg envelop the cheese when it cooks.

I posted a picture a few months ago of a Frittata. I will see if I can find a link to that thread

HD, that looks delicious! nice job. What where your ingredients? I see ham, cheese, and I think bacon.... you can keep the tomatoes and give my potatoes!

I'm hungry again, I shouldn't look at the recipe page this early in the morning.

Alan

Alan I followed 3ways instructions . The "stuffing" in the pic was sauteed mushroom and ham and then with shredded swiss cheese. Hubby's had mushroom, ham ,red pepper ,red onion and edam cheese. I am not a big bacon fan, although it would be great in an omelette.. I did add fresh ground pepper to it just as it was setting in the pan.

Alison ,the tomatoes that I bought were beefsteaks, and they were huge ,but extremely sweet and juicy. They are perfect for burgers as well.

3 way I haven't made frittata's since the summer, it is on my to do list. Can't wait to try it with the baking powder so it fluffs up like yours in the pic did. :D

Thanks for the reference work. I believe it describes PERFECTLY the differences between an Omlet and a Frittata. Nicely done Alison!

Omlette vs.frittata October 22, 2009
by Rachel Priestley

The French omelette and the Italian frittata are just about as different from each other as the French are from the Italians. One is all fluff and show, a bit like a peacock showing its tail. Don't get me wrong: I love a good French omelette-the lightness of the egg as it is fluffed in the pan, the flavour of good country butter and the last-minute touch, a garnish (the most famous being the seventeenth-century treat of carp roe and tuna). A French omelette needs to be consumed toute suite, otherwise it loses its oomph, like when the peacock folds his tail and walks away. The butter congeals on the plate, as does the fat from the lardons, or bacon bits, and, well, you get the idea.

Although the frittata is the omelette's cousin, sometimes it's hard to believe they are related. The Collins Italian-English Dictionary translates omelette directly to frittata, but the differences are vast. They have in common their base ingredient, egg, and that they are both cooked. They also share a role in an aphorism: in both French and Italian, the saying goes 'you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs' (non si può fare una frittata senza rompere le uova.) The Culinary Institute of America's The New Professional Chef actually classifies them separately and keeps an almost clean distinction between the omelette and the frittata, although it does tag frittata onto the farmhouse omelette.

A frittata can be eaten hot or cold; an omelette cannot. An omelette takes its prestige from the chef's skills in moving the eggs around in the pan to get that light fluffy texture. While some chefs even separate the whites from the yolks to achieve a light omelette, making a frittata involves concentrating on the ingredients the egg holds together.

The friends I entertained for lunch recently are not vegetarians, but because they eat loads of veggies but meat only rarely, I decided to prepare an array of vegetable dishes. I made autumn eggplants, sliced and grilled, then marinated in garlic, parsley, olive oil and chilli; potatoes with rosemary and very good extra virgin olive oil from the Chianti countryside; day-old homemade bread, grilled, rubbed with garlic, and sprinkled with Maldon sea salt, wild oregano and olive oil; orange and polenta torte; crusty bread fresh out of the oven; and Urbano's chilli marinated olives.

While shopping for the meal, I found smallish locally grown zucchini with the flower still attached. Their season is coming to an end, so I bought abundantly.

With little thought other than savoring the last of the season's flavors, I chopped the zucchini into rounds, doing the same with the small flowers. I then sautéed them in two pans to keep the heat up, with extra virgin olive oil, fresh mint, garlic, chilli, a few salted capers from Sicily thrown in at the last minute, and Maldon sea salt. As I ended up with so many sautéed zucchinis and still had five eggs remaining from the orange and polenta torte I decided one of the pans would become a frittata.

When the zucchini were cooked, and still hot in the pan I seasoned them, and into a bowl cracked the five eggs, a little sea salt and pepper. I also pounded two or three anchovies and threw them in to give extra flavour and to use less salt. I added a little more olive oil to the pan and threw the eggs in, scrambling them a little until half way through cooking then throwing the whole pan in the oven to set the eggs. I finished by sprinkling shavings of parmesan to melt into the frittata. My guests arrived at this moment, so by the time we had aperitivo, bruschetta and cicoria, the frittata was warm, relaxed and ready.

It was the star of the meal.

An omelette can be sweet or savoury, is cooked on one side only, can be runny on the inside, but is always fluffy.

Frittata uses whatever is in season and showcases it, whether it be zucchini with flowers, the small local carciofi violetti just coming into season, or, in spring, the fine frittata con piselli di primavera. Or Calabrian sausage with red pepper and potato. It can be eaten hot or cold. The Italians eat frittata at room temperature, sliced into wedges. When prepared well, the fuoco is the local produce held together by the egg.

Perhaps it's not a question of omelette vs. frittata, but how to enjoy the difference.

However, one question yet to be resolved is where the word omelette comes from. Some say it is based on the Latin, from the Roman dish ova e mellita, which is a sweet honey omelette dating back to the seventeenth century. Larousse's Gastronomique claims the word comes from the French lamelle, small blade. In any case, it seems that Larousse never had the fortune to enjoy a typical frittata, as the word never appears in his food encyclopaedia.

BUON APPETITO!

Shiny and well laid out produce isn't always the best. To get the best local, seasonal veggies, try Maurizo at the Sant'Ambrogio market. For cheeses

If one reads my last post you will notice that she mentions using the female flowering fruit of zuccini in the frittata. Since squash season is upon us in some parts of the country I will share a very special recipe from my family.

If you can pick a few of these fruit just after they flower and remove the inner part of the flower (pistal/stamen) i am never sure which. Then fill it with a light stuffing; made with bread crumbs a little rice, parmesean cheese, and herbs of your choice. You can then twist the ends of the flower to form a purse, dip it in beaten egg and then bread crumbs and fry them a mixture of butter and good quality olive oil. You will experience zuchinni and or yellow squash as it was meant to be eaten.

The male flowers can also be prepared this way but it lacks the plate appeal of those with the small fruit attached.

Older zucchini can also be grated and mixed with egg, flour, and a pinch of baking powder and spooned into hot oil to make fritters. More egg and less flour makes lighter fritters.

Latest posts