OMG, YIPPEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
My semen and nitrogen provider was out this evening and finally went through my tank for my missing priceless Holstein sire Comestar Stormatic straw that I couldn't find a few months ago.

He got the flash light and low and behold he saw it at the edge of canister 1. Did a quick retrieval and sure enough that was it. :banana:

I am ecstatic as that was a very very expensive straw and I do not even know if anyone even has one left of him anymore. I almost gave him a big kiss when he found it.. :D

Great to hear! Since you don't dairy anymore, maybe you should ship that straw my way so I can put it to good use ;-) . By the way I dropped a straw of expensive sexed semen in my tank last week. Guess it'll just have to sit there until I get it emptied out.

Ha ha Nova. Actually I had the perfect heifer picked out to breed him to. My daughter out of Astre Annie 5EX's heifer. That is when I couldn't find the straw and knew that I had not used it. I was in a panic but I put Braedale Goldwyn in her instead and as you know he was not cheap to buy to begin with but since he has died his semen straws are outrageous, at least you can still find him not like Stormatic.

She took to that breeding so now she will be going to hopefully a partners before she freshens to be milked.

Good luck with your straws I hope you find all that have been misplaced.

HD ive got a buddy that has 3 or semen juggs full of holstein semen.was talking to him a year or so ago.an he still has a few amps of paclamar bootmaker.an few amps of round oak ragg apple elavation in his tanks.plus no telling what else in them.

BB we had a semen tank mishap at the dairy in '07 and lost every straw we had turns out that we had 17 straws of bootmaker in there. The insurance company appraised him at $500.00 a straw.

I tell you I really would be tempted to use a couple straws of him in the finer boned large framed cows that are out there now, he sure would smarten them up and maybe make them last longer than a couple of lactation's. Rosalynd my 17 yr old that sadly we had to put down last year was a vic daughter and a bootmaker granddaughter, 17 years old and the last time we flushed her at the age of 15 she gave us 13 viable embryos. The last calf she gave me was an outside daughter 2 months before we had to put her down.

They don't make them like ole bootmaker anymore. I still remember the boss cow at the dairy Sandy she was bootmaker daughter and when we sold the dairy the new owners wanted her, she was 12 yrs old at the time.

Apple elevation now that's a name I haven't heard in a while, ask him if he has a few Rudolf straws in there. That would be worth something as well.

I like these old guys that retire and sell the cows as well as the semen tank not knowing what is all in there and the new buyer strikes gold. Kinda of like when you go to a farm auction and by a tool box for 10 dollars and when you finally look in it it is full of $500.00 worth of tools.

i asked him once why he didnt sell some of his old semen.an he said that he would never sell it.1 thing about bootmaker tho his sons was meaner than snott.an they was big bulls.

For someone who milked registered holsteins for many years the mention of bootmaker and roundoak elevation really brought back some memories. Although elevation was from the east,I belive his bloodlines originated in Kansas, and Bootmakers dam was from Kasnsas not too far from where I live.

my fav holstein bull was triple treat.i bought a rack of his semen 25yrs ago to AI 2 show heifers.used 2 straws.an they didnt settle.ended up giving them to a friend that was storing them in his jugg.an even today im sick over giving them away.that would be like giveing painted tiger semen away.

Glad you found the straw-now hopefully the girl you breed her to will settle!! We have two Stormatic cows in the herd I work with. One of them is an great first calver (she scored 89 on her 1st classification and was towards the end of her lactation), the other is also a first calver but not as fancy and very small. Both are good milkers though which is the important thing.

LoveMoo11":95njhdgp said:
Glad you found the straw-now hopefully the girl you breed her to will settle!! We have two Stormatic cows in the herd I work with. One of them is an great first calver (she scored 89 on her 1st classification and was towards the end of her lactation), the other is also a first calver but not as fancy and very small. Both are good milkers though which is the important thing.

LoveMoo VG 89 for a heifer is phenomenal an a rarity at that..She might have even gone EX but they do not usually ever classify a heifer as EX.. We were blessed to a few of them in our herd but they are few and far between. Rudolf gave us an VG 89 first calver in '99.

I would love to see a pic and hear more about her BCA's and pedigree. That will be one to watch for sure, what did you guys breed her to ?

Latest posts