Old Heifer Nursing Mother

Help Support CattleToday:

skip

Reaction score
I have a 15 month old heifer that we retained for our herd. She and others have been separated from the herd for 15 months. I put them out with the herd in early July to be bred and last week I caught her SNEAKING a drink from good old mom. Her little brother was nursing mom from the side and she was going in the back door.

Question: Can I break her by separating her again with this year's retained heifers or is it a habit I cannot break and she will have to be sold??

You can break the habit by loading her on the trailer. If you think you have broken her of it there is alwasy the chance that she's back to her old tricks just not getting caught

you will never break her now unless you keep them separated permanently. even so, she could start sucking on anything that will let her in the future... been there seen that.

I'd suggest the only way you'll break her of it is to separate her indefinately. Depends on if she's a good enough heifer to warrant the extra effort. Once they start nursing again after being weaned for a long period of time, I don't think you'll ever break them of it.

I'm wearing a bullet proof vest.

Buy a 3.00 plastic weaning ring and put it on the beach's nose. They look silly, they feel embarrassed, and it's not ever done by real cattlemen.

or

Sell her and pass the problem on

or

Take her and put her in your freezer.

or

Build her own luxurious paddock where she may or may not ever break the habit.

OK You caught on my fine proof reading of my posts. Ha. She's 15 months old but I weaned her from her mama at 7 months. Or I thought I did. I have to agree with ya'll, she needs to go.

Thanks for the responses!

IF she only nurses her mother AND you have another group of cows in another pasture, you MIGHT try putting her in there and watching her closely. However, she will probably always be one that steals milk given half a chance and the final solution is a one-way ticket to town.

skip":z1fqu0ue said:
Question: Can I break her by separating her again with this year's retained heifers or is it a habit I cannot break and she will have to be sold??

Nope, but you can break her by loading her on the first available trailer to the salebarn - and that is exactly what I would do. ;-)