old cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
Besides longhorns are their any other breeds that tend to live longer than the others. My neighbor raises red brangus. They expect them to live 15 years but have had some live to 20.

Walt

My Grandfather took a few short dumpy little "grass type" Polled Herefords to 20++ here. I think plentiful forage, relatively small fields so there is little wear and tear from moving around, rotational pastures, a good mineral program, routine vaccinations, a flexible supplementation program that doesn't let cows get too fat OR too thin is probably more important to MAXIMIZING cow longevity than genetics.

You are right Brandomn2. In the old stall barns of the 60's it wasn't unusual to see cows 15 yrs old. Now a six yr old is a cull. Cattle management has a lot to do with longlivity.

Shorthornguy":v3tp58cf said:
You are right Brandomn2. In the old stall barns of the 60's it wasn't unusual to see cows 15 yrs old. Now a six yr old is a cull. Cattle management has a lot to do with longlivity.

You hit the nail on the head there are not bad cattle just lots of bad cattlemen with poor management. Trying to run cattle out of there enviroment, breeding for single traits, not realizing they are a grass farmer first.

The cattle that live longer are the ones that haven't been selected for so much early maturity and early growth as is common nowadays.

I remember selling straightbred cows at 19 years of age on occasion as a kid, and I remember our "old" bulls were 12-14.

You will look far and wide to find that sort of longevity today. Most people are moe interested in moving their genetic trend than in looking at longevity, but they like to talk about longevity.

Badlands

neighbor just got rid of his last hereford cow that he and his dad raised. She was 26 years old and did calve but didnt have any milk. He bottle fed the calf and had a sad farewell.

He has alot of broken mouth stock and they look just fine. JHH

Latest posts