Old Bull is Gone

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
Figured he should have been done with his last little group of cows so took my old Bull to market. He didn't cost me but one 12' gate as he spied some weaned heifers just before the loading. Scale weight was 2260. I think he had fallen off a little since pictures.
DSC00573.JPG

DSC00574.JPG

fitz

Thank you Chuckie. I had started keeping some replacements from him. Bought a young bull this spring so it was just his time. He was a good doing animal.

fitz

Very nice looking bull! how old is he in the pic? I wish is could have took him off your hands, but I'm sure you did well at the sale.

A lot of nice old bulls go to the ground beef biz. In montana and i'm sure a lot of western states it is against the law to take a old bull back to the country to use in the breeding pasture. You have to have a licence to even buy them and then only to a feedlot where they eventually will wind up in the packing house. For a very good reason,which is, to prevent the spread of trichamonise [a serious vernerual disease of cattle. Every sales yard here has signs warning producer's to not buy a used bull. All should pay attention to this!!!

Beef Man":vqp5de6n said:
In montana and i'm sure a lot of western states it is against the law to take a old bull back to the country to use in the breeding pasture. You have to have a licence to even buy them and then only to a feedlot where they eventually will wind up in the packing house.

Wow. Glad I live in Texas where there is a free market system at the livestock barn.

Amen. Piss on that system. Plenty of used bulls sell here every week. Nothing like common sense.

LauraleesFarm":3w0mwe09 said:
Beef Man":3w0mwe09 said:
In montana and i'm sure a lot of western states it is against the law to take a old bull back to the country to use in the breeding pasture. You have to have a licence to even buy them and then only to a feedlot where they eventually will wind up in the packing house.

Wow. Glad I live in Texas where there is a free market system at the livestock barn.
What?? What is that Montana law??

I have picked up some nice bulls at the yard over the years. I sold a pretty decent bull this week that went back to somebody's farm. The vet called him 4yo when he was 2.5. That hurt his sale more than anything.

Beef Man":3pp6ks8q said:
A lot of nice old bulls go to the ground beef biz. In montana and i'm sure a lot of western states it is against the law to take a old bull back to the country to use in the breeding pasture. You have to have a licence to even buy them and then only to a feedlot where they eventually will wind up in the packing house. For a very good reason,which is, to prevent the spread of trichamonise [a serious vernerual disease of cattle. Every sales yard here has signs warning producer's to not buy a used bull. All should pay attention to this!!!

This is an excerpt from their Trich Regs. It is the same as Colorado where i live. Another western state,
BTW where are you located?

What are the requirements for testing bulls?
Montana requires that all non-virgin bulls sold, loaned
or leased within, or bulls going from a designated
Trichomoniasis Epizootic Area (Trich EA) be tested.
Further, non-virgin bulls from multiple sources going
to a common pasture for breeding and non-virgin bulls
imported into Montana also need to be tested. Livestock
owners may also want to consider testing bulls between
breeding season.

Red Bull Breeder":3s2fe4ik said:
I think them free market Texas folks need to check there state Regulations on Trish.

I knew a Trish from Texas.........I think she coulda used a Trich test! ;-)

LauraleesFarm":3prfp94j said:
Beef Man":3prfp94j said:

You can buy a used bull here in Texas, BUT the bull must be trich tested and determined to be free of trichomoniasis before you turn him out.

BC":1f01d985 said:
LauraleesFarm":1f01d985 said:
Beef Man":1f01d985 said:

You can buy a used bull here in Texas, BUT the bull must be trich tested and determined to be free of trichomoniasis before you turn him out.

ROTFLMAO......yea like that gets done.......I took Dee Ellis head of the division of TDA that was handling this to task at a meeting. Either enforce the damn rule or get rid of it!!!!

Alan":21j7lvq2 said:
Very nice looking bull! how old is he in the pic? I wish is could have took him off your hands, but I'm sure you did well at the sale.

Thanks. Not really old. I should haved phrased it, my older bull. He was 5 this past march. Traveled these hills well and should have several good years in him. People buy bulls at the sales here all the time. I figure with his size he'll go to slaughter.

fitz

fitz":220w5e67 said:
Alan":220w5e67 said:

Thanks. Not really old. I should haved phrased it, my older bull. He was 5 this past march. Traveled these hills well and should have several good years in him. People buy bulls at the sales here all the time. I figure with his size he'll go to slaughter.

fitz

We send all our old bulls we're done with to the regular kill sale, chances are that's where they'll go as the cheap bull buyers won't give what they've been worth for the past few years (.95 to 1.05/lb). Don't send any papers or comments with them, if someone wants to buy breeding stock out of a cull sale that's their look out as far as I'm concerned.....

Chuckie":1v8uhiuh said:
What was his breeding Fitz?

Chuckie, with a few exceptions I run a commercial herd so when purchased I told the Breeder I wasn't interested in paper transfers. As Robert posted, when I'm finished with a bull, he goes to market for slaughter. When I picked him out as a yearling the Breeder said he was out of a Sitz cow A.I.ed to an Alliance Bull. That's as far as it went.

fitz

WE live and operate in N.E. Mont and produce a fair amount of range bulls for the commercial people. That said we have saw ranchers that sold all their bulls every year because of Trich, not a real good way to show a prophit and sometimes a real slow way to improve your genetics overall. We have to test even virgin bulls to go into some neighboring states. Don't always like it ,but when i was some younger we tested for bangs and T B for ouy of state showing or selling. We've pretty well cleaned those 2 up and I think we are makeing progress somewhat here on Trich.For those who wish" go ahead and bend the rrules" When the S--- hits the fan don't cry about it,or even worse hope that you are the one that gets the 50--70% open and late cows. What I'm attempting to say is sometime's we have to take some rules to control needfull conditions for the comman good.

Here in Washington any non-virgin bull not going to slaughter has to be trich tested before he leaves the sale yard. I believe the test runs about $125.

Latest posts