Old Blu will enter Dog Heaven today

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Our 15 or 16 yr. old X-bred, short-haired terrier Blu (aka Boo-Boo) has been going downhill for the last couple of months -- canine CHF. Hubby brought him home from MO when he was a terror terrier one-year old. He never bothered horses, or cattle or cats; never picked a fight with another dog. He's just been a faithful friend -- his only job.

Boo-Boo has refused food for the last 2 days; he's past the point that the meds are helping him. Hubby went to visit a friend for a few hours, then will come home and put the old dog to rest. We have a close family friend vet who offered to do the deed, but hubby is a man of strong convictions, and since this decision is his, he will not permit anyone else to carry it through.

It'll be a blue weekend around here, but "it's time." :(

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Kathie in Thorp":38oya3th said:
Thanks, CF, Hook, Slick & Cindy -- Cindy, I'd seen the "Rainbow Bridge" before, but thanks for putting it up front today. I printed it for hubby.
Yup. I think more of my four legged friends than many of the two legged ones.....

im so sorry :cry2: it was very sad when we had to have our 6 yr old f2 aussie/pit/wolf cross put to sleep. at the time his "wife" cindy a f1 lab/malamute/golden had a 5 week old litter of pups. and 4 of them looked like him. after he died we had to get cindy fixed because she wouldnt breed anymore. cindys about 10 now and has arthritis in her back leg. that was the reason we had freckles put to sleep...

Kathie in Thorp":2xvwrqj5 said:
Boo-Boo has refused food for the last 2 days; he's past the point that the meds are helping him. Hubby went to visit a friend for a few hours, then will come home and put the old dog to rest. We have a close family friend vet who offered to do the deed, but hubby is a man of strong convictions, and since this decision is his, he will not permit anyone else to carry it through. It'll be a blue weekend around here, but "it's time." :(
And that is the way it is supposed to be. A man tends to his own in so far as possible.
My respects to your husband.

Ryder":3e27z0o2 said:
Kathie in Thorp":3e27z0o2 said:
Boo-Boo has refused food for the last 2 days; he's past the point that the meds are helping him. Hubby went to visit a friend for a few hours, then will come home and put the old dog to rest. We have a close family friend vet who offered to do the deed, but hubby is a man of strong convictions, and since this decision is his, he will not permit anyone else to carry it through. It'll be a blue weekend around here, but "it's time." :(
And that is the way it is supposed to be. A man tends to his own in so far as possible.
My respects to your husband.
Thanks, Ryder. It's been a couple weeks now. We're all okay, and Blu is wherever the souls and spirits of good old dogs go.

Our 14 year old Australian Shephard/Blue Heeler left us from CHF earlier this week also. Hard to take after so many years.

Latest posts