Old and ugly but dependable

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Here is my haybine Its old and ugly but dependable. Is anyone else using this ancient technology ? I like it cause its easy to work on and I have 2 to rob parts off of. Bad part is this is only 7 foot cutter.

I do. Mine is a 479. Got the 9 foot cut, but not the straight driveline, which I really hate.

I think I have one more year in her yet. Rubber is starting to crack badly on the rollers and I am due for another wobble box rebuild. Luckily I have two good spare wobble boxes on hand.

How many acres do you cover with that? We cover a little over 230 with ours and most think we are crazy. Cheap, not crazy.

Aaron":3osqviu8 said:
I do. Mine is a 479. Got the 9 foot cut, but not the straight driveline, which I really hate.

I think I have one more year in her yet. Rubber is starting to crack badly on the rollers and I am due for another wobble box rebuild. Luckily I have two good spare wobble boxes on hand.

How many acres do you cover with that? We cover a little over 230 with ours and most think we are crazy. Cheap, not crazy.

I dont know exact acreage but its darn close to 400 id say because i use it for hay and also use it for clipping pastures mine and some neighbors that let me cut there hay fields and we split the cost to make the hay. My rollers are in excellent shape so far yea wobble box I just redid last year.
I am cheap with the cattle farming since its just a hobby. I am expanding my cattle herd so I don't really have $$ dedicated to new equip. I vowed that since this is a hobby my hobby must pay for hobby related purchases.

highgrit":3osqviu8 said:
Sky, you must not have any fire ants up there??

I don't know if we have those in Va. I don't have any on my place i know why do you ask ?

I have cut with older equipment but was not happy about it. You see alot of NH 469/479/489 units advertised for $1100 to $1500. Not sure what a good one usually costs, but $3000 maybe in the ball park.
You can really put together a low cost line of haying equipment if you don't need to do a lot of acres. I am tempted to make some small squares for the horse market... :roll:

We have 2 472 n/h that is usable and 2 for parts.
I know a man that has one in the dry for 25 years that still has org. sections.
Looks like brand new if you got the dust off of it.Not for sale.

I agree with you Steve on everything but fooling with a square bale lol.I bought mine at a farm auction got it for 800 bucks lol and 3 pt wheel rake for 200 and my old nh baler I had that you did a manual tie and cranked the string and cut it yourself for 400.

skyhightree1":2x52tvil said:
I agree with you Steve on everything but fooling with a square bale lol.I bought mine at a farm auction got it for 800 bucks lol and 3 pt wheel rake for 200 and my old nh baler I had that you did a manual tie and cranked the string and cut it yourself for 400.

I thought I was cheap, but I had to pay $225 for the MN rake, and $500 for the NH 273 baler. :(

Now I just need someone to pay $8 a bale and an intern to do the work!

Stocker Steve":23vduik1 said:
skyhightree1":23vduik1 said:

I thought I was cheap, but I had to pay $225 for the MN rake, and $500 for the NH 273 baler. :(

Now I just need someone to pay $8 a bale and an intern to do the work!

yea i started off read cheap cause didnt know how much I was gonna enjoy it and if I would be able to do it with my schedule... The kids love it and wife so all is well now.

skyhightree1":1rwjtzen said:
Here is my haybine Its old and ugly but dependable. Is anyone else using this ancient technology ? I like it cause its easy to work on and I have 2 to rob parts off of. Bad part is this is only 7 foot cutter.

Skyhightree, you have consistently posted pictures of some of the most enviable equipment on the board. However, this one is not on that list :). I believe I'll gladly take my JD 830 MoCo over your haybine.

OklaBrangusBreeder":2kzozy6c said:
skyhightree1":2kzozy6c said:

Skyhightree, you have consistently posted pictures of some of the most enviable equipment on the board. However, this one is not on that list :). I believe I'll gladly take my JD 830 MoCo over your haybine.

Okla you are correct. The big tractors combines sprayers and everything came from my grandparents Row crop operation that my grandfather left to my grandmother and I. I have had my own stuff but it was not nearly as nice as the row crop operations equip. LOL I don't blame you.

I used a 479 haybine with a 9 foot cut for many years. Had very good luck with it. Only thing I didn't like was busted the main drive belt once and had to tear the thing halfway apart just to replace the belt. Finally just plumb wore it out...recently bought a 499 with 12 foot cut..that's been a good machine too...would have a hard time going back to 9 foot after cutting with the 12 footer..

Latest posts