Okra

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I called my neighbor yesterday for him to come get the rest of the jalapenos off my plants, as the weather is supposed to turn cold next week and I know that will be the end of the peppers this year. He came, but brought me a bunch (about 2 gallons--whole pods) of okra off his plants, as he "Has it running out his ears".

Now I really like fried okra and sometimes like it in gumbo but my wife hates it.

I have too much for one meal for me, but not enough to drag out the canning stuff and do it right in the pressure cooker.

I'd like to cut it into slices and just freeze it but do I need to blanch it whole first, then slice it?

He came, but brought me a bunch (about 2 gallons--whole pods) of okra off his plants, as he "Has it running out his ears".

Now I really like fried okra and sometimes like it in gumbo but my wife hates it.

I have too much for one meal for me, but not enough to drag out the canning stuff and do it right in the pressure cooker.

I'd like to cut it into slices and just freeze it but do I need to blanch it whole first, then slice it?
No, you don't need to blanche okra. Slice and freeze.

You could always pickle it. Yum!

Don't like it pickled.

(Named'em Tamed'em, I do know enough about it to NOT slice it then blanch it... a messy train wreck of seeds and membrane

A good way to evaluate a group of people from outside the south for a job or assignment:

Get tender young okra, slice and dip in cornmeal breading, deep fry in oil, remove and drain. Bring the people in one by one to interview. Have a buffet spread of self serve food that includes the okra and a bottle of hot sauce on a table and have a break to eat.

Anyone that does not try the okra is eliminated since they are not open minded, not willing to take any risk and lacks ability to make a good decision. Anyone that eats some fired okra remains in the running. If anyone gets a second helping, they move up on the list. If anyone sprinkles a generous amount of hot sauce on top prior to eating, you have found the smart one. If anyone asks for tofu- you know what to do.

Only found edible okra in the past couple years. My neighbor grows em every year. Loves em in everything from salad to gumbo type.
Texas hold your ears... He likes em in chili too.
If young enough, less than a thumb size. They are ok pickled or just cut in anything pan fried. We will grow them this year in the garden again.
Old ones are terrible. This is what I knew my whole life.

Young tender okra and more mature okra is like the difference between eating bamboo shoots and eating bamboo fishing pole. One is edible and one is not.
I think that's the reason some folks don't care for it. When it gets "lookin' good for pickin'", it's too big for proper eatin'.

Fried okra is great, I also like a dish that my mother used to make with tomatoes okra and onion, though sone people might not like the texture of it I loved it.
My Grammy and my momma made that. It was best when fresh served, but was still awesome when cold, after getting off the school bus

A good way to evaluate a group of people from outside the south for a job or assignment:

Get tender young okra, slice and dip in cornmeal breading, deep fry in oil, remove and drain. Bring the people in one by one to interview. Have a buffet spread of self serve food that includes the okra and a bottle of hot sauce on a table and have a break to eat.

Anyone that does not try the okra is eliminated since they are not open minded, not willing to take any risk and lacks ability to make a good decision. Anyone that eats some fired okra remains in the running. If anyone gets a second helping, they move up on the list. If anyone sprinkles a generous amount of hot sauce on top prior to eating, you have found the smart one. If anyone asks for tofu- you know what to do.
My dad did that with pie...

He would take a potential employee out for coffee and pie and watch the way they ate it. A guy that ate the crust first was an automatic hire. Someone that ate it point to back and ate it all was considered to be an average guy and dependable but not a thinker. If a guy ate the filling and left the crust he was lazy, self indulgent, and wasteful.

He took me out and I ate the back crust first, then the filling, and ate the bottom crust last. He didn't know what to make of that and said so.

My dad did that with pie...

He would take a potential employee out for coffee and pie and watch the way they ate it. A guy that ate the crust first was an automatic hire. Someone that ate it point to back and ate it all was considered to be an average guy and dependable but not a thinker. If a guy ate the filling and left the crust he was lazy, self indulgent, and wasteful.

He took me out and I ate the back crust first, then the filling, and ate the bottom crust last. He didn't know what to make of that and said so.
That's how I ate pie at home, crust first.
If I was eating out around other people I'd be more average though, I'd still try to sneak the back crust first.

I called my neighbor yesterday for him to come get the rest of the jalapenos off my plants, as the weather is supposed to turn cold next week and I know that will be the end of the peppers this year. He came, but brought me a bunch (about 2 gallons--whole pods) of okra off his plants, as he "Has it running out his ears".

Yes, sir, you just slice and freeze .I also toss it with the flour/cornmeal for frying and then freeze it.

Latest posts