Oklahoma

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I reckon my post on Oklahoma was lost, so figure I will post it again. I have recently started thinking about relocating sooner ( not sure if pun should be intended or not) or later to south east Oklahoma. My wife is from Le Flore County. She still has a lot of family in that area. I am contemplating trying to find some land in the area and having some cattle. I have been there a few times during the summer and liked the area. It is hotter than here in Ky, but hopefully the winters will be a little better. What are some average stocking rates? Are there many stockyards in that part of the state. My wife said there used to be one in Le Flore County but didn't know if it was still there.

That's not too far from me. Some of the country is really nice cattle pasture but allot of it is really rocky and pine trees. Overall pretty country just have to find a place that suits you. I'd say 4-5 acres to the cow on the prairie. Not sure about the rocky country. Believe it or not folks up there run cattle in the hills and don't see them for months.

Good land, south of me, lots of chicken litter available. I think there is a sale in pouto, ft smith is a good sale, tahlequah has a sale, and stilwell also a very good one.

I have hunted all over Oklahoma and two of the prettiest places I ever was on was in Leflore Co.
Turkey hunted around Red Oak, Okla. and deer hunted in the southern part of Leflore Co.
As for raising cattle I would think it would be a little better farther south and maybe little west, Hugo area, less rocks and I think better grazing land. I have lots of family from Broken Bow to Antlers and there is lots of cattle in that area. In the other post people were worried about snakes, ticks, and chiggers plenty of all but you learn how to deal with them. I am in that part of the state quite a lot and wear snake boots when out in woods or pastures if it is very hot. As for sales Oklahoma has plenty cattle sales and if you are going to sell big loads your less than 4 hrs. from the biggest stocker sale there is OKC Stockyards, and if you move to Oklahoma and have never seen OKC Stockyards make a day trip and go see it. I like Oklahoma but I am a ''Okie'' its one of the few states that have desert land, mountains/hills, wide open grass lands, lots of lakes, rivers, swamps. We also may see wind chills 20 below then a few weeks later 100 + we have tornados, wild fires, ice/snow storms, and earth quakes, windy days and calm days. Like they say'' if you don't like the weather today stick around and we will have something you will''

Madill has some of the prettiest cattle land I've seen and Hugo has a really good sale. Ada also has a big sale at SOLA on Wednesdays. I was scheduled to ship calves there this week but decided to hold off. Broken Bow and Hochatown area are very nice also.

BRYANT":3twf8txu said:
I have hunted all over Oklahoma and two of the prettiest places I ever was on was in Leflore Co.
Turkey hunted around Red Oak, Okla. and deer hunted in the southern part of Leflore Co.
As for raising cattle I would think it would be a little better farther south and maybe little west, Hugo area, less rocks and I think better grazing land. I have lots of family from Broken Bow to Antlers and there is lots of cattle in that area. In the other post people were worried about snakes, ticks, and chiggers plenty of all but you learn how to deal with them. I am in that part of the state quite a lot and wear snake boots when out in woods or pastures if it is very hot. As for sales Oklahoma has plenty cattle sales and if you are going to sell big loads your less than 4 hrs. from the biggest stocker sale there is OKC Stockyards, and if you move to Oklahoma and have never seen OKC Stockyards make a day trip and go see it. I like Oklahoma but I am a ''Okie'' its one of the few states that have desert land, mountains/hills, wide open grass lands, lots of lakes, rivers, swamps. We also may see wind chills 20 below then a few weeks later 100 + we have tornados, wild fires, ice/snow storms, and earth quakes, windy days and calm days. Like they say'' if you don't like the weather today stick around and we will have something you will''

On my first trip to Oklahoma, which was right after we married going on four years ago, we went up to OKC for a day and night. Seeing the stockyards there was one of my goals of the trip. Turns out we didn't go on sale day but did see the outside of it. My wife has a good friend that lives close by there in Yukon, so she also took us by Express Ranch.
The poison ivy, chiggers, ticks, don't worry me too much used to all of those being pretty prevalent here too. I hate snakes and hate coming across them but used to running up on them too, although copperheads are the only venomous ones we have right around here. In some neighboring counties there are some timber rattlesnakes, but not likely to find any where we are now. I would definitely have to be more cautious with rattlesnakes and cottonmouths around.

Fencing seems to be different, around here mostly woven wire fence with barbed wire on the top. Most of what see there has been barbed wire. We have done some barbed wire for an interior stretch of fence but not for exterior. I figure if we could do barbed wire all around it would be more cost effective and a good job of it may be just as good.

Ky hills":hdc5opqi said:
I hate snakes and hate coming across them but used to running up on them too, although copperheads are the only venomous ones we have right around here. In some neighboring counties there are some timber rattlesnakes, but not likely to find any where we are now. I would definitely have to be more cautious with rattlesnakes and cottonmouths around.
cottonmouths them are the bad boys, get one in the right mood and they will come after you. Rattlers I have killed some around 6 ft. long but they are not near as mean, most of them wont make it a point to go out of their way to get you. I would think you will see a lot more eared cattle than what you are probably use to seeing.

BRYANT":c7v26hgn said:
Ky hills":c7v26hgn said:
I hate snakes and hate coming across them but used to running up on them too, although copperheads are the only venomous ones we have right around here. In some neighboring counties there are some timber rattlesnakes, but not likely to find any where we are now. I would definitely have to be more cautious with rattlesnakes and cottonmouths around.
cottonmouths them are the bad boys, get one in the right mood and they will come after you. Rattlers I have killed some around 6 ft. long but they are not near as mean, most of them wont make it a point to go out of their way to get you. I would think you will see a lot more eared cattle than what you are probably use to seeing.

I think you are right, there are a few eared cattle around here but few and far between. I may actually have more of them than most around me do, and that's just percentage not purebreds. Last time I was in OK just down from where my wife's mother lives I saw a field with both a gray and a red Brahman bull.

BRYANT":3tdws3sq said:
Ky hills":3tdws3sq said:

i had a big momma come run me down, I was poundin staples in a old tree stump. I bet she had babies in there. I came around for the 2nd barb wire run and I about stepped right on her.. she rattled the loudest i've heard, then come strikin over and over.. ran me over 20' back until I got to the quad and grabbed a shovel... she saw that shovel and turned around to the woods quick.. I went into the woods after her and took her head :cowboy:

BRYANT":dkdlawjt said:
How did I miss you being an okie? What area?

snoopdog":g6x93mpz said:
BRYANT":g6x93mpz said:
my place is about 1/2 way between Tulsa and OKC. Paden/Boley area but I live 45 miles west of there. Your from NE , how far from Miami Okla. I sure use to like to go up there and snag them Spoonbills. It got hard to find out when they were running and its a long ways to go if they are not.

BRYANT":1p18jyb6 said:
snoopdog":1p18jyb6 said:
BRYANT":1p18jyb6 said:
my place is about 1/2 way between Tulsa and OKC. Paden/Boley area but I live 45 miles west of there. Your from NE , how far from Miami Okla. I sure use to like to go up there and snag them Spoonbills. It got hard to find out when they were running and its a long ways to go if they are not.
We are south of Miami, and north of Sallisaw about 40 miles, in adair county.

There is also life west of I-35. We operate a few miles either side of the Caddo-Grady county line. Not many poisonous snakes, and not much problem with rocks. But, we don't get as much rain as farther east. Plenty of sales, and more vet's than you can shake a stick at. I'm not sure what would draw someone here that had no previous connections (other than that we're about an hour from both OKC and Lawton, and lots of oilfield activity nearby), but on the other hand I've yet to find anyplace else I'd rather be.

Latest posts