oklahoma or kansas relocation advice

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i've decided to to sell out and move east.
don't have a contract but an offers been made so i'm looking for a new place.
i'm really thinking oklahoma and maybe east of i-35, maybe kansas, but i'm not sure.(kansas maybe be too cold)
i'd like to be in good cow country, small town country folks, ag based economy, good co-op's, stocker cattle, wheat farming, feedyards(kansas flint hills type area)
i'd appreciate any advice.

That sounds like tornado ally to me.
So the first thing you need to do is build you an under ground storm shelter.
SL

Cross7,

I'm east of I-35 in the very southern part of the state. I love it here but I grew up an hour from where my place is now. Cant really compare it to other places as I have never ranched anywhere else. I work all over the state though, and have friends that ranch in the Pauls Valley area, about 50 miles south of OKC. Feel free to PM me, and I'll help as best I can.

my old territory was east of i-35 before i transfered and i had a good customer in pauls valley(martin fertlizer)
i like that area around pauls valleys, lindsay, ada but i never spent a lot of time there.
i like the claremore area and up into kansas but i really hate cold weather, so i'm thinking i better stay south.
i used have a customer in atoka and i like that area some but the woods start getting pretty thick there.
really want to be a little more careful this time, the place i'm selling i've only lived there since march but it turns out not to be what i thought it was.
so i'd like hear from someone first hand

Beautiful country up around Rexford Kansas. Great grain country with water and rolling land. A couple of friends and I bought a hotel there fifteen years ago. Great people, fat cows and plenty of hunting. It does get cold in the winter, but one of the guys moved up there and truly loves it. If I had not bought another place near Flagstaff I would try raising cows and grandkids there.

i agree.
i really like the area east of wichita ks, good cattle country and great people.
i have freind that retired and moved to moline and he loves the summers.
i asked him about the winter time and he said he just sits by the fire and drinks whiskey till spring.

I live around the pryor area, but by your description i would look at the northeast area One of the few counties around that has the large area of grass and grain operations around these parts.

LimoX":2wotdm4n said:
I live around the pryor area, but by your description i would look at the northeast area One of the few counties around that has the large area of grass and grain operations around these parts.

i used to call on chupp imp in pryor.
i like that area, good hay counrty.

how bout kenefic oklahoma
anybody know the good, bad & ugly ?
good cow country ?
how are the sale barns?
city or country folks ?

Yeah it gets cold the farther north you go, but you can always put on more clothes, whereas, down south, you can only take off so much ....usually. And nobody wants to see an old wrinkled up, pot gutted old phart, in a muscle t shirt, with out the muscle anymore, in cut offs, and boots half way to the knees , with laces untied. Look a lot better in long johns, wool shirts, heavy coat, and insulated coveralls. And the cows are'nt bothered by flies for 8 mos.out of the year.

Come on out to Illinois Cross. Great land etc.... Only problem is land is kind of expensive.

Anyway, any progress on choosing your new 'hood Cross?

Goodlife":d8j60pc8 said:
Come on out to Illinois Cross. Great land etc.... Only problem is land is kind of expensive.

Anyway, any progress on choosing your new 'hood Cross?

i just got in from east texas.
i had planeed to take a trip north of the red river but i had a call from nocona and spent the day there.
my perspective buyer for my place in west texas is having issues convincing his wife on the "west tx retirement property" so things have slowed back down.
still a little uncertain about jumping into an area i know nothing about.
here we don't a have a real parasite problem or tics and such.
it takes 20-25 acres for a cow so manure, mud, lime, fertilizer and etc. are not ever a concern.
most years we don't feed hay, we just cake them some when the weather gets bad.
i've seen some 250 acre places that claim to run 75-100 cows and i'm still trying to wrap my mind around how you can keep that many cows on that few acres.
so when i in east texas i ask lots of questions but not getting many answers.

I'd stay out of the flint hills if you don't like winter, it gets pretty bad. I remember heading back to Ohio two years ago and running around in a T shirt outside when it was in the upper 20's because it was so warm in comparison.

I live in Wichita, KS. Winters aren't too bad. We tend to have a few blizzards....snow stays on the ground for 1-4 days and melts. Western KS has the most severe snow. Eastern KS..depending on where is on and off. Central KS really isn't that bad winterwise...this is coming for a Texas boy who grew up in Texas til 6 years ago! I would love to get into cattle but don't know where to start and I only have one catahoula that has worked hogs. If you move to Central KS and need occasional help let me know by private email. Thanks.

Latest posts