ok frankie, i have an epd question...

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
as i understand :lol: :shock: the epd's for a calf on bw, ww, yw, ma, etc will be the average of his dam and sire. now, once those epd's are given for the calf, what and by how much do they change? for example, if a calf has a ww epd of 40, will it always be 40? or does his/her offspring, dam and/or sire's performance over the years thereafter affect it enough to change his numbers?

thanks

jt

jt":106wdrec said:
as i understand :lol: :shock: the epd's for a calf on bw, ww, yw, ma, etc will be the average of his dam and sire. now, once those epd's are given for the calf, what and by how much do they change? for example, if a calf has a ww epd of 40, will it always be 40? or does his/her offspring, dam and/or sire's performance over the years thereafter affect it enough to change his numbers?

thanks

jt

Here's a link to the "Accuracy and Associated Possible Change" chart the Angus Association uses. Other breeds have a similar chart, but I don't know if they all use the same figures.

http://www.angus.org/sireeval/accuracy.htm

Yes, his dam, sire, siblings, half sibs' performance will affect his EPDs. That's one reason we don't generally use young bulls in our breeding program. For the commercial guy, if you look at a pedigree and see it's deep in animals with a lot of data in the EPD database, you won't see much change. On the other hand, if you buy a bill sired by your neighbor's young pasture bull, who was sired by his other pasture bull and he didn't report AHIR data on the bulls, you might see quite a bit of change. It's all related to information reported into the AHIR program. If I'm not being clear, let me know....

thanks,

i figured they changed, just didnt know to what degree.. and like you said, and it makes sense, that the more info you have on an animals pedigree the less likely the chance of a big change, and vice versa.. i just hadnt thought of it like that.

thanks

jt

Latest posts