Oh crap!

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Well, we did it, we worked with our vet to get our open cattle in sync. and in season, so we could AI them with the sperm that our IA tech recommended. That was almost a month ago. Of course we brought our bull back in a week ago, just to take up the one or two that did not take, well, as it turns out........NONE took! And they are all within a day or so of each other of being in season. What a waste.

I can only assume that the tech was selling us bad semen, or maybe wut else could have gone wrong?

It could be that the cows weren't in a good standing heat when they were bred.. it could be they didn't settle properly. There are a lot of different reasons, the semen being "bad" only one of quite a few.

AI is never a 100% thing unfortunately. Generally when we AI a cow we leave her separate from the bull for two heats to make sure.

There were three things in my AI class we all learned to have a sucessful AI breeding. 1 good semen. 2 put at the right spot .3 at the right time . If any of these factors are comprimised , you will not get a pregnancy.I would think that if none settled to the AI service that it could be the semen . Your timing could have been off, (Heat Detection ) Late breeding is better than early. Semen Handling comes to mind. ( temperature shock ) The AI tech has to absoulutly now that he has passed the gun through the cervix and be confident that he is putting the semen in the uterine body . if he is not , he may as well sguirt it on her head. There are alot of variables to cause a cow not to settle to AI. To start with only expect to get around 65%- 80% to settle in the first place with the first service . I would evaluate my entire AI program . ask your semen rep. to go over the entire process . Call ABS or Select Sires , Genex and get a AI manual and read it . Also remember not all cows will settle to an AI service anyway. You could be dealing with hard breeders . I hope this information will help you .

Latest posts