off to a flyer

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
had first of this years calves born today and they turned out to be twins. 1 boy 1 girl. had the cow scanned at 4 months and nothing was picked up. shame we wont be able to breed from heifer. was a nice supprise though

Congratulations. Be sure to monitor the calves though. Sometimes Mom won't take both. I had twins back in December and everything was find for the first couple days and then mom abandoned the smaller one. Alive one day and gone the next. Be careful.

both feed within an hour. been on feet ok. curled up at the moment. from peoples experience do cows generaly favour one. they are pure hereford and mother has had 3 calves before but never twins. will being a twin effect their growth in the future months. just woundered what peoples experience with twins is.

sporder":2cxo0vjs said:
both feed within an hour. been on feet ok. curled up at the moment. from peoples experience do cows generaly favour one. they are pure hereford and mother has had 3 calves before but never twins. will being a twin effect their growth in the future months. just woundered what peoples experience with twins is.
The honest answer to both questions is the same. Sometimes yes sometimes no. In oother words, as in most everything in this business there are no absolutes. A cow may raise a set of twins great and if she twins again she may not may not.

Benign neglect is the key.

We had one cow that would let anything nurse with no problems. Last year we tried to graft a calf on her and she wouldn;t have a thing to do with it. Worked out ok since the cows mother (Granny) claimed the calf and raised hers and the orphan.

we had a set of twin's saturday both bulls and both still living. We left one on momma and pulled the other and will bottle feed him. Last year we had a set of twin's and we did leave those on the cow and they did ok but they sure pulled momma's body condition down bad so we weaned those two earlier than the rest.

As Snickers indicated, it is hard on the dam. If she has enough milk for both to grow properly, than she may need extra nutrition. Although, I have had cows raise both calves just on the hay & grass & breed back with no problem.
Just watch the condition on the calves & dam.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ttc8hhp said:
Although, I have had cows raise both calves just on the hay & grass & breed back with no problem.
Just watch the condition on the calves & dam.
I got a calf one year because the cow had twins and abandoned one at birth. Not quite 2 years ago my hereford heifer had twin heifers, took care of both very well and maintained on grass and hay. I was told by my vet, and believe it to be true, if your beef cow is at a healthy weight, feeding it more will make it heavier, but not a better milker. Watch mom and babies as Jeanne suggests.

Latest posts