Off to a bad start!

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
Well my calving season has begun. The two weeks prior to calving season we have had about seven inches of rain and temperatures in the 50 degree area. Until day before yesterday. The temp dropped to 19, one calf born and quickly became on frozen mud ball. Got him in the barn dried him off and things are good. Today I found a cow with blood on her rear and a few minutes later found another frozen mud ball. He was standing but looked a little woobly. Got all the mud off of him and the cow (a second calf heifer) didn't want anything to do with him. None of the other cows expressed an interest either. Penned him and what I thought was his mother. I let another cow in the pen that I thought looked close. The calf has taken up with that cow. I seperated them and the second cow still showed more interest than the one that I thoaught was his mom. Now I'm thinking I may haveanother calf out there that I didn't see so I turned the original mom loose and left the calf penned with the second cow. Man, that second cow did not look like she has already calved, but maybe she had. Sorry I am rambling I am fighting a bout with Pnuemonia (spelling) and my medicine is making me feel kinda strange. Hope everyone is having good fortune with their calving.
Devin

NIneteen in twenty one days is darn good. I like it when the just keep spitting them out. We ususally have pretty good luck calving at this time of year, but then again the ground is usually froze at this time of year. It has been way warmer than normal here and its making a big mess. Good luck on your remaining calving season.
Devin

Latest posts