Off Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Baba

Reaction score
I have two 15 month old red angus steers. After about 2 months on grain, going from 6 lbs/day to 18 lbs/day of grain they stopped eating it. It's been cold and wet. They'll eat some of the grain but they use to run to eat it, now they'll stand there and watch you pour it and maybe sniff it and will eat some but won't clean it up. I've cut back to 9 lbs total and they still leave some. Any ideas?

What do they weigh? How much hay are they getting? Any chance the feed is old?

Often, backing way off on feed will get their gut going again. A dose of probiotic can help speed things up.

They weighed about 715 lbs when I got them about 10 weeks ago. They have free choice of grass hay. The same feed has been used from the start. I've raised steers before without any problems.
I slowly increased the amount of grain, not a big jump.

Are they both off feed? are they the only two that you are feeding grain too? Does the feed smell or look like it might have some mold in it?
I don't know the answer so I just ask more questions.

They both seem to be off the feed. These are the only two I have and the feed is fresh.

How big was your jump in grain from 6-18lbs. You say they still leave some of your 9lbs which sounds like more than 6lbs but less than 9 which in most cases would be normal. The hotter the feed or diet, the more gradual the increments need to be. try taking away their free choice hay. for show animals we have always liked to dump the grain over the hay. If they wonna eat they have no choice. A Probiotic might also not be a bad idea eithr, I am assuming they have free choice minerals?

what are you feeding them?

id just back them down to what theyed clean up.an slowly increase them to the amount theyll clean up.ive got a bull calf that was eating 12 to 15lbs.then boom he quit cleaning his feed up.so took him back to the beginning feed.an am building him back up where he was.

Were you feeding them all the grain at once. If you were theyaren't going to eat it all at once. Try splitting it between two times a day. You probably have them up to full feed which is the same as putting them on a self feeder. I would also cut back on the hay at this point and not give them free choice if you are pushing the grain to them that much. If you are feeding a small square i would give them about a 1/3 to /12 abale a day or less. It coudlbe something else but if they are healthy it jsut sounds like they are on full feed and aren't going to eat it all. If this isn't it try restarting them and brign them up real slow.

I split the grain in two feedings, about 730am and 430pm, they would clean it all up before eating some hay, I will cut back on the hay and let you all know the results. Thanks for all the help so far.

A 750 LB STEER HAS A CP REQUIREMENT OF 2.01 TO GAIN 2.5 LBS PER DAY.

A 750 LB STEER CAN EAT 3% OF THEIR BODY WEIGHT WHICH IS 22.5 LBS PER DAY TOTAL CONSUMPTION.
THEY NEED 20% OF THEIR RATION TO BE FORAGE WHICH IS 5 LBS OF HAY PER HEAD PER DAY AND-----
THEY NEED A 12 % RATION WITH OR WITHOUT RUMENSIN AS FOLLOWS:
PERCENT PROTEIN X TDN = 0.12 X 0.90 = 0.108 ~ 0.11
YOU TAKE WHAT THEY NEED AND DIVIDE IT BY THE FEED VALUE = 2.01/.11 = 18 LBS

iF YOU START THEM AT 6 LBS DAY 1 AND UP THEIR FEED DAILY BY 1 LB IT WOULD TAKE 12 DAYS TO GET THEM ON A FULL RATION.
*******THESE ARE REALLY LIGHT STEERS FOR 15 MONTHS OF AGE AND THEY MAY BE STUNTED -- IN THIS CASE THEY WILL NEVER BE RIGHT AGAIN AND PROBABLY SHOULD BE SOLD AT YOUR CONVENIENCE.

simangus23":1ralqg9b said:
A 750 LB STEER HAS A CP REQUIREMENT OF 2.01 TO GAIN 2.5 LBS PER DAY.

A 750 LB STEER CAN EAT 3% OF THEIR BODY WEIGHT WHICH IS 22.5 LBS PER DAY TOTAL CONSUMPTION.
THEY NEED 20% OF THEIR RATION TO BE FORAGE WHICH IS 5 LBS OF HAY PER HEAD PER DAY AND-----
THEY NEED A 12 % RATION WITH OR WITHOUT RUMENSIN AS FOLLOWS:
PERCENT PROTEIN X TDN = 0.12 X 0.90 = 0.108 ~ 0.11
YOU TAKE WHAT THEY NEED AND DIVIDE IT BY THE FEED VALUE = 2.01/.11 = 18 LBS

iF YOU START THEM AT 6 LBS DAY 1 AND UP THEIR FEED DAILY BY 1 LB IT WOULD TAKE 12 DAYS TO GET THEM ON A FULL RATION.
*******THESE ARE REALLY LIGHT STEERS FOR 15 MONTHS OF AGE AND THEY MAY BE STUNTED -- IN THIS CASE THEY WILL NEVER BE RIGHT AGAIN AND PROBABLY SHOULD BE SOLD AT YOUR CONVENIENCE.

That is a geat example!!
I'm guessing that 3% is an as fed basis because 2.5-2.6 is our max usually. Guess the breed might make a difference, We have fed british and exotic breeds but if can get 2.5 we are happy.

lst thing you gotta do is find out if that feed has a 90% TDN. If you buy it in a bag it's very doubtful... probably more like 65%. Now give us some new numbers.

Latest posts