Of Interest

Help Support CattleToday:

Old West

Reaction score
Anybody heard about this?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... -cow_N.htm

U.S. to ban slaughter of immobile cows

WASHINGTON (AP) — The government said Thursday it will permanently ban the slaughter of cattle for human food if they cannot stand or walk, a possible sign of mad cow disease, but is exempting some animals in that condition.
The Agriculture Department said the ban will be effective Oct. 1. The regulation does allow cows to be processed if they become unable to stand or walk after their initial inspection at a plant.

The Humane Society of the United States objects to this exception.

Allowing such animals to be processed is "cruel and does not establish the food safety standards USDA should strive to meet," said the group's president and chief executive, Wayne Pacelle.

The department put interim rules in place less than three weeks after the detection of mad cow disease, known Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, in an imported cow in December 2003.

yup, thats old news. You havent been able to slaughter downers for some time now.

3MR":unt0qw4c said:
yup, thats old news. You havent been able to slaughter downers for some time now.

That is not quite true - they were apparently still able to kill a downer if it met certain criteria - OT and Sask and Flounder have been picking at each other for a day or so about it.

The final rule just came into law a day or so ago - Old west has it on the money. No more downers.

I cannot imagine eating a downer anyways - certainly would not have some folks from the boards here - or family - eating it at my next BBQ! :)

Regards

Bez>

If I knew what the problem was i would eat it. Unless something changed it could have been a injury rather than a disease making them a downer. If it got hit by a car or something like that I would salvage what I could.

I dont have a problem with the prohibition though. They shouldnt be marketed.

Latest posts