Odds were 25%

Help Support CattleToday:

May no be exactly what you ordered but that`s a really nice heifer. Just curious what bull is she out of ?

Yes, I was delighted that she is red. She is out of one of my old (deceased) donor, Miss Power Lass, sired by Shock Force. As a newborn, she really shows a lot of potential. Already has a wide back, rib shape & deep flanked. Got a little chrome, which I also like. White on face, bellie & little on 2 rear feet.

I love a good red!
Hey, here is our first embryo out of Simmi Valley Zsa Zsa and Upperclass.... we like her so far!

NICE!! What did you name her? Don't know if you heard the story on ZsaZsa. Kyle Conley came to NY & judged the NYSF. He used ZsaZsa for Calf Champion and used her all the way to Supreme of the show. Then in the picture taking, asked if she was for sale. His dad bought her & later put her in the Hartman Sale. Really nice to see her genetics getting out & around. I don't have any of her cow family left.
Edit: Thanks for sharing the picture!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":147jw2n2 said:
Here's an embryo heifer out of a black dam & black sire. Odds were 25% to be red. The cow is her recipient dam.

Nice. Sure looks like a big calf - is that the camera angle? What was the birth weight?

Yes, she was 106# at 12 hours old. Much more impressive than the 70 & 74# twins!! LOL She's 1/2 a calf bigger. Shock Force is not known as a super CE bull, and this cow likes to incubate her babies longer. Birth was 5 days late (expected a bull - great surprise!)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3dd7neg8 said:
Yes, she was 106# at 12 hours old. Much more impressive than the 70 & 74# twins!! LOL She's 1/2 a calf bigger. Shock Force is not known as a super CE bull, and this cow likes to incubate her babies longer. Birth was 5 days late (expected a bull - great surprise!)

Hide her. Quick hide her! True Grit is on his way to put a piece of lead behind her ear. In his Kingdom, By Order Of Vince The Terrible no calf over 80 pounds is allowed to live.

Bright Raven":5i5am0j9 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":5i5am0j9 said:

Hide her. Quick hide her! True Grit is on his way to put a piece of lead behind her ear. In his Kingdom, By Order Of Vince The Terrible no calf over 80 pounds is allowed to live.

There's a big difference between a 100 lb heifer and a 100 lb bull. The only downside to a 100 lb heifer is the feed bill, and CE on her future bull calves. There's a big difference in what works for a commercial operation and a registered - show herd.

In 15 calves, Granny (black angus) only had 2 red calves. She was always bred to a red bull, either Hereford, Red Angus or red Fleckvieh.

I don't see what the birthweight of a calf has to do with her feed bill later in life.. it's not said she eats any more than a light BW calf

Nesikep":p44q0x2j said:
I don't see what the birthweight of a calf has to do with her feed bill later in life.. it's not said she eats any more than a light BW calf

You have to go by the adverage intake for a cow. A adverage cows DM intake will be 2.0 - 2.4 of their body weight daily. Common sense tells me a 100 lb calf will be a bigger cow than a 80 pound calve when raised under the same management. There's exceptions to every rule but you always need a adverage to work from or towards. That's what makes EPD's a useful tool, some folks can't depend on "just because this might work" for choosing their dames or sires.

Knowing individual bloodlines for 5 generations and trends within them is at least as useful as a statistical number which includes animals raised under *drastically* different conditions... Take a look at the Pharo cattle (like them or not).. take a look at OldTimer's cows.. those are functional cattle for their conditions, and when looking at numbers, they probably have a lot of "undesireable" stats when compared to other high growth cattle with unlimited feed. I know that the bulls I keep come from a particularly efficient line of cows.. I know it's not scientific, but when I see those cows in good condition, and are always the first to leave the feed bunk, but still raise the top calves, it certainly gives me strong hints.

Yes, averages do help and play a big part in decision making. I do not deny that. And I do not deny that this 106# heifer most likely will be bigger than an 80# heifer out of the same cow in my environment. This calf is not a "gutless wonder". She "appears" at this young age, to be the type that should grow into a deep, big ribbed, moderate framed female, probably weighing 1550 - 1600# which is EXACTLY what I am striving for. In my environment, I don't care if they are a 5 frame or 6.5, as long as they are easy keepers. You have to remember that here in upstate NY, we grow GRASS steady for 6.5 to 7 months. I'm talking lush green grass. I think I have had a "brownish" lawn once in the 39 years I have lived on this farm. A far cry from what it was in Kansas. Yes, our winters are harsh, but we grow enough grass to make the hay to feed them all winter.
The small frame cows that work for you, will not make me any money and just get fat here.

Latest posts