odd and bad situation

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
heres the story: Approx 5 weeks ago, dad accidently hit a 3 mo old calf with the polaris ranger. Front leg broken above the knee. This a really nice reg herf so I opted to attempt to save the calf. Local vet was summoned. Lots of swelling, vet said to leave it alone it would heal . ( I work with an ortho surgeon, I did not think it would heal ) so i trucked the calf to another vet 2 hours away. This vet splinted it and sent calf home. Calf did well for a few days. Then went septic and had high temp and seizures. Put calf on Baytril and banamine. Calf still took bottle even though near death. Calf ( now named Chip) , rallied and got better. Now its a little over a week and on sat am the break became a compound fracture with a small piece of bone sticking out. Once again, a repeat 2 hr drive to the vet. This time he says 2 options, euthanasia or cast. I went for the cast. Now the vet bills are about $350 so far. Calf has done well with the cast. No temp, takes bottle, ruminates, eats hay ( refuses calf starter) cast to come off Jan 5 ( will be 4 weeks in cast) this cast can be reapplied if needed. Calf just finished 10 days of mobic( human bone med, but is used in cattle) and now has a GI issue. Strains to poop, seems in pain ( grinds teeth) I wonder if the med did this? at first I thought coccidous , but no temp, poop does not look or smell wrong. Any thoughts greatly appreciated ! :bang:

I was on Mobic for just a couple of weeks and it tore my guts up something awfull. Took longer for the ulcers in my stomach to heal then the length of time I took the stuff. I'm assuming it will do pretty much the same to the guts of a calf.

:devil2: Im thinking that, too. I called the vet that put on the cast and put the calf on Mobic to tell him what was happening. I guess this is a common drug used in dogs , also.

Holly, we all want to do everything we can to save a calf. There is a point of no return though. You should have opted for the euthanasia.

yes, i have a feeling that is what will be happening when the cast comes off next saturday( provided he lives that long) For some reason I took a real shine to this one, in the past I have known to not play " the hero" and do stupid stuff. Maybe its that menapause thing !

:( The calf did expire sunday. He seemed better, no fever, no diarrhea, no more straining. was up and about, eating well. I was giving him his bottle and noticed he was short of breath( no fever) lung sounds were clear. heart rate was elevated. Also was a little cyanotic . He took all the bottle with gusto I debated on whether to call the vet ( again) but as he was in no pain I did not. I had a feeling he was terminal. When I went back to the barn a little later he was dead. No sign of thrashing or bloating ect. Im thinking a pulmonary or fat emboli. Buried him today. The next time I have a break like that, i will not try to fix it. :cry:

holly heifer":3tesvuio said:
:( The calf did expire sunday. He seemed better, no fever, no diarrhea, no more straining. was up and about, eating well. I was giving him his bottle and noticed he was short of breath( no fever) lung sounds were clear. heart rate was elevated. Also was a little cyanotic . He took all the bottle with gusto I debated on whether to call the vet ( again) but as he was in no pain I did not. I had a feeling he was terminal. When I went back to the barn a little later he was dead. No sign of thrashing or bloating ect. Im thinking a pulmonary or fat emboli. Buried him today. The next time I have a break like that, i will not try to fix it. :cry:
Holly, this is sad. There could have been damage to the diaphram. My brothers dog was hit by a car. He recovered but had shortness of breath. Vet x-rayed him and said the diaphram was injuried and that it would eventually result in death. He lasted a couple months. He was out one day in the yard and my brother said he just stopped walking. He carried him back to the house and had him in his lap. He finally just was not able to breathe.

I am sorry for you and the calf.

Thanks, guys It just wasnt meant to be. We had a total of 60 calves this year and lost this one as well as one stillborn ( listeria) and one that the coyotes grabbed before mom cow could even turn around. I then declared open season on all coyotes! :mad: We will start spring calving in march, had one born early a week ago to one of the old girls. Calf is doing great!

holly heifer":3jdt8c6n said:
Thanks, guys It just wasnt meant to be. We had a total of 60 calves this year and lost this one as well as one stillborn ( listeria) and one that the coyotes grabbed before mom cow could even turn around. I then declared open season on all coyotes! :mad: We will start spring calving in march, had one born early a week ago to one of the old girls. Calf is doing great!

Come on now Holly. Doncha know they are just trying to make a living..................

3waycross":ur2bwfbn said:
holly heifer":ur2bwfbn said:

Come on now Holly. Doncha know they are just trying to make a living..................
Dying isn;t much of a living boy. CE as Josie Wales

dun":1onuvfup said:
3waycross":1onuvfup said:
holly heifer":1onuvfup said:

Dying isn;t much of a living boy. CE as Josie Wales

I remember that line. Good one.

Latest posts