Oats vs. hair

Help Support CattleToday:

INDad

Reaction score
My last post has been a while, but if you remember my family and I are pretty new to this - during our fair I heard basically that feeding oats is bad for hair growth - as I heard it, "oats burns hair."

Truth to this or not? Our little prospect that I wrote about before is eating more grain now and has less hair than he did even a month ago... of course, 95 degrees might have something to do with that! Input is appreciated - mostly in terms of how to feed the little guy when he's a big guy next spring! :)

The fat content in grains is what "burns" the hair. Most of the time, corn gets the blame. However, you're not going to get a Show Steer up to snuff without grain. Just feed a National Brand Show Mix at about 3% of body weight, and you should be fine. Hopefully, you'll get to the point at the end when you will need to hold him back. Hair quality and growth is about 2/3 genetics, and 1/3 daily care (no mater what you hear, bushing is ten times more important than blowing). Rinse and brush (Rice Root Brush) every day, keep him out of the sunlight, and under fans through the day.

Latest posts