Oat and bean hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Oat hay is safe, although you might want to experiment a little to find the right amount due to the grain. Soybean hay can be a little tricky because of the possibility of blister beetles. Unless you know where the hay came from and know it's blister beetle free, I believe I would pass because they are highly toxic and could very easily kill your horses.

msscamp":eno4r50p said:
Oat hay is safe, although you might want to experiment a little to find the right amount due to the grain. Soybean hay can be a little tricky because of the possibility of blister beetles. Unless you know where the hay came from and know it's blister beetle free, I believe I would pass because they are highly toxic and could very easily kill your horses.

Oh man, so true...!!!!! Blister beetles...they are fatal! I really didn't know that until I worked for the the extension service. I wouldn't take a chance on anything that could remotely harbor a blister beetle. And, since I just bought two horses, let me thank you, msscamp, for that warning about soybean hay!

Alice

Alice, blister beetles tend to hang out in alfalfa fields, too, given the right conditions.

msscamp":mn18ld79 said:
Alice, blister beetles tend to hang out in alfalfa fields, too, given the right conditions.

Whoa, thank you for that one, too... :)

Alice

Herefordcross":3wwwoknr said:
Is Oat and Soybean hay safe for horses?

You can feed all the oat hay you want to horses, there is never enough oats in it to cause any over feeding. It really ends mostly as an oat straw and you will get a lot of waste unless you cut is really green and was able to get it baled dry that way. It only ends up being about 8 % crude protein. Soybeans should not be fed to non-ruminents accoding to the fact that there is a certain enzyme that can cause some digestive conflicts with the protein, and soybeans are way too high in protein for horses, about the high 30 percentile. So I don't know if you are talking about the fodder after the combining, if so, I doubt you would get horses to eat much of it, but no way on the soybeans.

hayray":osg5kmxd said:
Herefordcross":osg5kmxd said:

You can feed all the oat hay you want to horses, there is never enough oats in it to cause any over feeding.

Never say never. Perhaps the situations I've seen oat hay fed are the exception to the rule but, as with most things - it IS possible to overfeed oat hay.

msscamp":3gwmed8n said:
hayray":3gwmed8n said:
Herefordcross":3gwmed8n said:

You can feed all the oat hay you want to horses, there is never enough oats in it to cause any over feeding.

Never say never. Perhaps the situations I've seen oat hay fed are the exception to the rule but, as with most things - it IS possible to overfeed oat hay.

We had a welsh pony mare (in foal) founder on oaten hay, maybe our hay in Aus is baled different. We tend cut cut it when the head is milky, leave it for about 7 - 12 days then bale it. Is this what you guys do?

tallarook":3r5lqjms said:
msscamp":3r5lqjms said:
hayray":3r5lqjms said:
Herefordcross":3r5lqjms said:

We had a welsh pony mare (in foal) founder on oaten hay, maybe our hay in Aus is baled different. We tend cut cut it when the head is milky, leave it for about 7 - 12 days then bale it. Is this what you guys do?
I doubt it, that pony was probably going to founder anyways - did it have a crested neck like a chronic founder case?

Latest posts