O ring or Twist

Help Support CattleToday:

frieghttrain

Reaction score
:help: What's the plus or minus to each and which one do you guys use. We are going to try to do our own AIing this year. Joe

Kombicolor. O rings are terrible, and you really have to muscle them onto the twist guns. Between o ring and twist, definitely twist.

O ring, tried the twist, hated them. One thing I like about the rings is I have several different color rings. If I'm breeding a number of cows to different bulls. I can prep all of the guns at once and use different color rings for the different cows. Just need to keep track of what semen is matched with which ring color

With traditional AI sheaths, I like the twist because it is simpler. My favorite AI sheath for cows only comes within an O ring style - stip tips.

O ring. Just take the o part and throw it away and you can carry all the sheaths you need to breed a bunch of cattle at once with just one gun.

I think its what you start out using and are comfortable with. I use twist, tried O ring a few times it fell off some after insemination because I seem to tilt it down. I just thaw the next one in line after I make up the one im going to breed.

I dont know anything about AI besides what i see the tech do but it seems like (i might not watch close enough to know for sure) he just slides a sleeve on and goes no ring or twisting

ricebeltrancher":iluthfnv said:
Kombicolor. O rings are terrible, and you really have to muscle them onto the twist guns. Between o ring and twist, definitely twist.

Agree. I use the KombiColor syringe that has a wedge shaped locking device that the sheath is pushed over, no twisting but the concept is the same. Marketed at Bovine Elite. I use the twist KombiColor when at Fire Sweep Simmentals. Basically, the same.

Interesting but I'm only getting from select sires so no luck there and that's a fair bit of cash. So go with twist?

I like the twist. I breed a few for a friend who has all his own equipment and he has the o-ring I despise using it just seems to be more hassle to me, but either of them work!

Latest posts