Nutrition labels

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
Boy reading nutrition labels on food can make a person paranoid. You can spend a great deal of time just trying to figure out if a canned or frozen food is possible to eat and not over extend your dietary requirements. If you are trying to balance carbohydrates, sodium and fat intake it can be very time consuming. The quickest way I have found is to just get fresh fruit and vegetables and either eat fresh or just steam and add a few spices (no salt) and enjoy. Anyone else notice this or even care?

YES, I have noticed this and YES, it matters. It came to my attention when we tried to find frozen or box convenience foods for my father-in-law who had numerous health issues to "heat and eat". We were not able to find anything that wasn't full of sodium and/or sugars and/or hydrogenated oil (trans fat). Even the so-called healthy choice brand is high in sodium, which was not a healthy choice for someone with congestive heart failure.

We ended up taking the same route you described, preparing fresh foods for him and doing our own little version of "meals on wheels". It was an eye-opener.

Jalopy":10iztgp9 said:
Boy reading nutrition labels on food can make a person paranoid.

It's not paranoid at all. Processed foods is most likely why Americans are obese and sick. I guess you could call me paranoid too.....

That's why a balanced diet of taters, red meat and beans is so healthy.

I stay away from processed food for the most part...don't taste nearly as good as homegrown and it creeps me out when I can pronounce what I am eating.

I've even found high fructose corn syrup in dill pickles!! Why,I do not know. I'm trying to stay away from that stuff!

Salt in processed foods is like fat on a bull. Nobody likes blah food and nobody likes skinny bulls. Well :oops: I guess there are a couple of us that DON'T overdo the salt and don't over feed our bulls. :D

Latest posts