nutrition and immunization checklist

Help Support CattleToday:

Dragstang

Reaction score
I am new to the beef cattle industry and just learning all the things that the real cattlemen already "know" Has anyone seen a "checklist" or document of the specific nutrition needs and immunizations and other health needs for razing a weened calf up to the age of or ready for breeding 2-2 1/2 years. thanks in advance for any help.

Vaccinations are too area specific for a really inclusive list. There are some that are pretty much standard (for those that do vaccinate).

Thanks, what i was trying to lay out is a schedule by age of nutrition needs, shots needed and other health care responsibilities that the calf needs until the age to be able to bred.
Just trying not to miss anything.

Here is our health program:
Ass baby calves, pink eye and blackleg
At weaning: Bovisheld Gold/5, Oneshot (not sure what it is), Vision 7 /somnus with appropriate boosters in 3-4 weeks
Pre breeding:Bovishield Gold 5, lepto/vibrio, pinke eye, blackleg
Wean their calves are weaned: Bovishiled Gold/5

For heifers, we give Vision 8 Somnus preweaning, and again at weaning plus Virashield 6 + Vl5 HB. Then VS6 +VL5 HB again 4 weeks later. They'll get both again right before breeding when they are 13-15 months old. Deworming is also very important, especially if you live somewhere that stays mostly warm and humid. We do Cydectin preweaning, again at weaning, Ivomec Plus 4 weeks later, then every April and November thereafter.

We do the worming spring and fall also. We also pour them with BOSS for lice/flys(including baby claves in the spring) and UltraBOSS in the fall for flys and warbles

M-5":f58xm38h said:
http://beef.osu.edu/library/finalcalendar.html
here is some reading material

Ive got an immunization calendar somewhere Ill try and dig up

thanks good read. things like this help someone with little experance lay out some sort of a plan.

Here's a very helpful vaccine chart with links to vaccine descriptions, prices, safety and uses.
http://www.leedstone.com/chart-cattle-vaccines/

I would highly recommend adding Inforce 3 to any vaccine protocol.
easy to use: just 1 cc in each nostril (no needle of course) and safe in all cattle from birth on up including pg cows.
Vets have told me it has an excellent memory response and when given to calves it helps boost other respiratory vaccines
that are given at a later date.

Latest posts