numbers

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually answer the first question. 1 head on each one of them. But since your being serious I will give more information. I run a pair per acre most of the time. I can get by with more on occasions and at times its less. Depends on the rain. As far as hay goes I allow 2.5 bales per cow. I normally have 90 - 100 hay days. If the fescue is in good shape I have hay left over. The hay I cut is anywhere from 2 - 6 rolls per acre. It depends on how much I have grazed it and how much fertilizer I have put on it. Going into it I run the numbers to see if its worth spending the extra money for the amount of return I can get. You have to factor in availability to buy hay and at what cost as well as how much to spend to get a certain return on your own hay. Some years its cheaper to run more cattle on the hayfields and not fertilize and buy hay. Sometimes its better to not fertilize and just spray for weeds. This year I didn't spray for weeds as their were to few of them to make a + return. I didn't fertilize and cut hay where I was runing some stockers at 1 per acre. I got 2.2 1200 pound rolls per acre . You not only have to manage your cows you have to manage your grass as well. You can see a lot plays into the equation. You have to run a pencil through the numbers and be somewhat of a fortune teller as to what the future will bring.

I am trying to figure out if it would be best to buy hay all the time or cut some. I only have 5 cows so not sure if it would be worth the expense to get hay out of 5 acres. Paying to get the feild up and going for better qaulity hay and then paying someone to help cut and bale it. I think I am better off just letting the cows have the extra 5 acres. Especially once they start birthing next year.

BP

I won't pay you to keep and maintain the equipment to cut five acres. It will also be hard to get anyone to move their equipment to cut five acres unless they are cutting next door. It would be cheaper for you to buy hay. It can pay you however to keep it free of weeds. Everwhere a weed is growing is taking up space grass could be growing.

brierpatch1974":2axjzc10 said:
I was just curious on how many head of cattle everyone has and how many acres of land for each cow. The stocking rate. Also curious on how many acres you get hay from and how many mowings a year for your area. Most places but not all around here mow twice sometimes three.

BP

Have 3/4 acre corner lot in town. No cattle, so no stocking rate. Could probably graze one steer out back but the village won't allow it. No hay, but I mow the grass 1-2 times a week from April till October, depending on rainfall. ;-)

brierpatch1974":154r0nzs said:
I am trying to figure out if it would be best to buy hay all the time or cut some. I only have 5 cows so not sure if it would be worth the expense to get hay out of 5 acres. Paying to get the feild up and going for better qaulity hay and then paying someone to help cut and bale it. I think I am better off just letting the cows have the extra 5 acres. Especially once they start birthing next year.

BP

With 5 cows, you're better off buying hay in my honest opinion. The stocking rate for my area is 33 acres/cow. We raise hay, also, and usually get 4 cuttings off the alfalfa and 2 off the grass fields - but our hay is irrigated. Total herd we take care of is somewhere around 65 - including 4 bulls - we own half to maybe 3/4's of that herd, and all the bulls. The folks are retired, so we are basically hobby ranchers - we still enjoy the cattle, though! :lol: :lol:

Around here I can run a pair on 2 acres, usually I try to allot 3 acres/cow in case of dry times, but sometimes I get carried away. Get two cuttings, could get three sometimes but I don't want to drag my equipment over that much land 3 times, I enjoy a little "break" in between cuttings for fencing, etc. I average 6 rolls/cow feeding in the winter, try to have 8/cow at the beginning of winter just in case.

Hope this helps

cfpinz

Latest posts