Nu-Flor

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
After bringing Sam's heifer home from the fair I noticed that she has been coughing. She is also tearing a little... looks like from the duct of each eye. Appetite was a little off but seems to back this morning.

All the same I called the Vet, described her symptoms, and he has a dose of Nu-Flor waiting for me to pick up this afternoon.

Question is: I've never administered the stuff before. Where is the preferred injection site and is it SQ or IM?

I can never remember either so I just ask the vet when I pick it up

dun

Guess I'll have to call him back because it'll be after hours until I am able to pick it up. They are hanging it on the back door for me.

I've given it both ways. The label says IM. Thats also how the vet says give it. It works both ways though. Some times causes a pretty good knot in the muscle. If they are really sick I give it IM.

SQ in the neck 3cc per 100 of body weight. I like to give Banamine(sp) 1cc per pound of body IM with it.
steve

thanks all,

I called the vet while I was out of the office and this is what they told me:

If giving the lower dosage give it IM. If giving the higher dosage give it SQ in the neck. The vet is drawing the higher dosage for me.

Now my next question is. Sam is going to be showing this one again in the next few months. Is giving it SQ in the neck going to leave a lump like the blackleg did? Also, I assume that the 10cc per site rule applies. Since she weighs around 400# I'd have three injection sites. :( If I have to give her three injections how far apart do they need to be spaced or is there a way around this?

We always give it SQ. 20+ cc for a 400 lb calf seems pretty high to me, especially for a preventative. If you do have to give multiple shots, use both sides of the neck. If you have more than one inj site per side, use the corners of the BQA triangle, more or less. If she's a keeper I don't worry quite as much as I would with a steer or bull, but I do try to remember that she's still a meat animal. I can't remember for sure, but I think I was told one time that Nufluor is one that is pretty damaging on the meat.

Lee

The shots I have had to give I have given forward of the shoulder and SQ unless being told to do otherwise. Got a lot of learning to do... I had to go look for the BQA triangle and found this resource. Hope it helps someone else besides me. The article and pictures are about 2-3 pages into the newsletter.

http://www.nebraskacattlemen.org/bqa/bq ... 042005.PDF

This is the link to the data sheet on the medication: http://www.nuflor.com/disclosure/index.html

BW - She's a real good calf and we do plan to eventually incorporate her into the herd. I try to take really good care of all of them and this one is no different other than she belongs to my daughter.

madbeancounter1":30d06itx said:
BW - She's a real good calf and we do plan to eventually incorporate her into the herd. I try to take really good care of all of them and this one is no different other than she belongs to my daughter.

Certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise. My thought was that if I know the heifer is a keeper, I sometimes expand the BQA triangle if I have several injection sites, since I know she's not going to a feedlot. Clear as mud?

Lee

No offense taken BW. Just real cautious with their care. They represent more than just $$ or a meal and I hate to make mistakes I can avoid with asking questions.

Back to the meds... the data sheet says to space them out the width of a hand. From what you wrote I infer that this may be even to close for you.

sca10010":hxlstcjv said:
I like to give Banamine(sp) 1cc per pound of body IM with it.
You need to read the Banamine label. If you can't give it IV, you shouldn't be using it.

2 shots on one side - 4 inches will work although can be closer if necessary - third shot on the other side.

Bez'

Never been told to give Banamine IV only. Seems like we talked about this in another post.

Thanks,

Got the job done. I put the halter on her, tied her to the fence and squeezed her between it and me and fence.

Vet left me a big 60cc syringe of the stuff... unfortunately the needle came off the syringe and about 2 cc's leaked out in the bag before I got to it and I lost a little bit more when I tented the skin and accidently put the needle in one side and out the other. So I actually ended up giving her only 20cc's. Ten on each side.

I felt pretty awkward using such a big syringe and long needle. I should have looked at the case but it was pretty large bore and about an inch long. What do you all suggest for the next time I have to do this?

madbeancounter1":1ft2ki7t said:
What do you all suggest for the next time I have to do this?
12cc syringe loaded with 10cc. That is all you need in each injection site anyhow. No need to have more than that in a syringe at a time.

Last time I'll ask that particular vet to draw it for me. Next time I'll just pay the $70 for the bottle and do it myself.

What size needle?

I like to use a 18 ga 1" needle for SQ injections. It's a little easier keeping a 1" needle from poking out the other side of the "tent". Use a 18 ga 1 1/2" needle for IM injections. Mine don't seem to mind the smaller 18 ga needles near as much as the 16 ga or larger ones. I use 20 ga needles for thinner vaccines (i.e. triangle 9, blackleg, etc.).

madbeancounter1":1x0mugc0 said:
Thanks,

Got the job done. I put the halter on her, tied her to the fence and squeezed her between it and me and fence.

Vet left me a big 60cc syringe of the stuff... unfortunately the needle came off the syringe and about 2 cc's leaked out in the bag before I got to it and I lost a little bit more when I tented the skin and accidently put the needle in one side and out the other. So I actually ended up giving her only 20cc's. Ten on each side.

I felt pretty awkward using such a big syringe and long needle. I should have looked at the case but it was pretty large bore and about an inch long. What do you all suggest for the next time I have to do this?

MBC1

If you recall we had this discussion before - a part of it goes like this:

Fresh needle on a regular basis - keeps the point sharp and prevents dragging in hair and dirt. Also prevents passing certain little germs from one animal to another. These are the biggest causes of problems in my opinion.

When you stick the animal in the neck, do not "tent" the skin.

Smack the needle area a couple of times hard with the back of your hand - numbs the sight and prevents them from jumping around.

Point the needle directly towards the ground - holding it like you are about to stab something with a knife in your fist - run your hand out and into the side of the animals neck and stab downward - almost parallel to the neck surface. Needle goes in under the skin and does not enter the meat. Ram the vaccine home with your thumb - unless you are using a gun which I doubt. That's another story.

Needle length should not exceed one inch - prevents bending and breakage. Stainless steel only please - stronger needle - but can be brittle. Plenty long enough to do the job.

Tenting of the skin is:

1. Potentially dangerous - easy to stick yourself.

2. Potentially lethal - you stick yourself with some things - YOU DIE.

3. Potentially wasteful - throwing it out the animal - through two layers of skin and onto the ground.

4. Potential needle blockage - through one layer of skin and into the next layer - now yo have to back the needle off before you can inject.

Tenters who say they have never had some of these issues are probably far better at injections than I am - but if they get down and truthful, they will admit to it. I know - got that T-shirt.

You did number 3.

You also ask about injections and what to use - 3/4 for Sub-Q is plenty - one inch is ok - more is potential loss of bent or broken needle inside animal. 20 bore for everything on this farm.

Using my method, you will never feel awkward with a large syringe - it naturally fits in your hand.

I like everyone who comes here to try it - fast / safe / effective.

All you tenters give it a try - I think you will like it.

One final thought - grab some 2 x 4 / 6 lumber - build 2 small gates and one rectangle about one foot wide and the same height as the gates. Put a hinge on them and hook them together - now the two gates are self supporting and open / close like an expanding and contracting "V". Use a rope to tie it closed at the back.

You now have a mini portable squeeze for the calves in your pen. Cheap to build - use scrap wood - works well when you are short a pair of hands.

Bez'

Latest posts