NRCS programs

Help Support CattleToday:

Florida cattle

Reaction score
I seen on here where some of you have checked into the NRCS programs for assistance, and did not like what you were told so I figured I'd step in and maybe give you guys some info that I have seen some offices do not share with their producers.

50% is not the only EQIP cost share rate, it is only the base rate; beginning or small farmers/rancher 75%; limited resource 90% cost share rate.

If you do not meet the requirements look and see if you children can because most programs can be applied to leased land, if you can produce a written lease or rental agreement.

some specs can vary from state to state but most are establised at the national level, if any of you have question you can see the 2 links below or just ask me, and I'll see if I can help. Also if you are having problems with your county office you can report them to their area office to see if actions can be taken to get them off their @$$

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/about/organiza ... gions.html

I have nothing but good things to say about the folks I've dealt with in NRCS. They are knowledgeable and helpful. Biggest area I see that could stand improvement is to get the higher-ups in DC to let the folks in the field make decisions and recommendations based on their knowledge rather than trying to micro-manage them and make blanket prescriptions from a desk. I won't elaborate anymore but you probably know what I'm talking about.

Jo allot of the problems that NRCS and FSA have don't just come from D.C. but come from the state office, it is amazing how things are different just here in the southeast between Ga, Fl, and Ala.
I just get mad when people tell me about problems with thier local office, and I know that there is no excuse for the problems other than the employees are just too lazy or sorry to do thier job. That's the reason I ttold people to contact thier area office to see if it can helpand if that does not work they should go to thier state office.

Florida cattle":147hd855 said:
Jo allot of the problems that NRCS and FSA have don't just come from D.C. but come from the state office, it is amazing how things are different just here in the southeast between Ga, Fl, and Ala.
I just get mad when people tell me about problems with thier local office, and I know that there is no excuse for the problems other than the employees are just too lazy or sorry to do thier job. That's the reason I ttold people to contact thier area office to see if it can helpand if that does not work they should go to thier state office.

I've had nothing but good dealings with our local NRCS office. An office a couple of countys over used to have a really bad reputation for not being helpfull or particularly pleasent to deal with. One of the guys from this office went over there and took over and now the folks are really tickled to work with them. Too often I see the (borrowed from military terms) ROAD metality. ROAD is Retired On Active Duty.

I rarely if ever ask for any money through these programs. I do turn to the NRCS for advice. A couple of years ago after asking the NRCS's advice to do some work I got the State Prairie Fairy all over me accusing me of breaking all kinds of laws. This guy was WAY out of line since he was in enforcement and didn't know the law or the facts. I'm glad the NRCS was there to set this fool straight.

The only negative thing I can say concerns the FSA. One office I have dealt with hired a woman minority. I'm sure it made them look good and they probably had to do it. But she was a racist. She was incompetent and had she not been of color I'm sure she would have been fired years before she retired. I'm pleased she is enjoying her retirement.

Jogeephus":2ii1a32w said:
I rarely if ever ask for any money through these programs.

I've never been the one that asked for any kind of cost share, our local office will contact me and let me know what may be available for what I need/want to do. But we have a unique relationship with the folks in our NRCS/FSA office.

These programs are nothing but welfare for Farmers. If your operation cannot pay for all of the improvements you need then you need to look at something else to do. Why use my money tax through the government to help you out. I make mine by working , I have never taken any money from them and never will. When an operation of mine proves to not be profitable I sell it and find something else to do. If I need improvements that will benefit the operation the operation has to have the cash flow to justify it and pay for it.

hurleyjd they are gonna give the money to someone so it might as well be me, the programs only cover part of the cost, most of the time they don't even cover 1/2 the cost, if I can get some of the money back I pay in on taxes every year I will, I just look at it like another tax return ;-)

dun":2lzjfy65 said:
Jogeephus":2lzjfy65 said:
I rarely if ever ask for any money through these programs.

I've never been the one that asked for any kind of cost share, our local office will contact me and let me know what may be available for what I need/want to do. But we have a unique relationship with the folks in our NRCS/FSA office.

I hope what I wrote didn't sound like I'm against farm programs cause I'm not. I'd rather see someone trying to better the land get some tax dollars back for good management practices rather than our tax dollars going for something useless or overseas. Farm programs are good as a whole. They are sometimes abused but as a whole I think it is money well spent. I just chose to work on things at my own pace but do seek their advice on technical matters and glad there is an unbiased source one can seek for advice.

I agree Jo some farmers will just go to look for a handout, but if I plan on doing it already and they will give me money for it, why not take it? Make better business sense to me.

I have some things working this year with NRCS EQUIP program. These people at our local office have been real helpful and friendly. Each county in our state has a certain amount of money available and if you don't apply for it, someone else will. The money is going to used, trust me. My only gripe is that i,m just now finding out about some of these programs, and I found out by accident about the equip program.I think they should make information more availiable about their programs to everyone.

Using the FSA direct payments and cost share NRCS payments are not welfare in any way. They are programs designed to help the farmer improve his income and the land. It also rewards those who follow certain consersation practices. Using these programs is simply good management. 8)

Nice enough folks and they seemed to pretty well know their stuff; gave me some good resource material and information. The NRCS guys/gals were a LOT better to work with than our FSA ladies/guy have become. The FSA folks are downright p!ssy and don't want to leave their chair without an appointment, and are pretty snippy and short when you DO have one! I can appreciate the fact that DC has been cutting their jobs and consolidating operations, doubling up on their duties and downsizing, closing offices, and all of that, but hey, if they don't like the job then just d@mn well quit already instead of taking it out on me and every other farmer who calls or walks thru the door! FSA sucks! NRCS was friendly though...

That said, it's all in what you can/are willing to put up with whether some of these programs will work for you or not. I woulda got in on the cost-share grass planting former cottonfields but I didn't want them looking over my shoulder for the next 25 years, same thing with the crossfencing program. Their 'requirements' for water troughs/water lines/etc. costshare were completely overkill and would have cost me WAY more to do, even after cost-share, than what I spent to do it my way, and I don't have to answer to anybody. No inspections, no spot checks, no specifications, no verification.... less headaches! When they printed off 32 pages of cross-fencing specifications and guidelines to approved construction practices/methods I dropped out on the spot. Just not worth the hassle to do it 'uncle sam's way' just to get cost-share, and have uncle sam looking over my shoulder forever. No thanks!

FSA folks may be snotty but I only have to deal with them once a year. I sign up for the program and certify my acres 'fallow/pasture' and then just sit back and wait for the check to direct deposit on my cotton, corn, sorghum, and soybean base payments and countercyclical payments to come in. That's good for a few thousand a year and all I have to do is get an appointment and waste a half-hour signing the paperwork. Thank goodness for Freedom to Farm; it's paid for fencing the 87 acre homeplace and cross fencing it, and installing water to all the pastures and getting the grass started, and a little gravy on the side. With fertilizer (h3ll ALL prices) the way they are now I WOULDN'T even bother to plant cotton this year, or anything else for that matter. It's just gotten totally rediculous. It's a rich man's game and I'm glad I quit row crops when I did! ANYWAY.... All depends on your situation I guess.... Yall take it easy! OL JR :)

I get to deal with NRCS on a regular basis on my day job. There is a huge difference from state to state and field office to field office. if you happen to have one of the good ones they are great and you are lucky. If not...... it is best to stay away.

The one over riding concern is their practice codes. To get cost share things must be built to their standards. Often you can build it to "farmer standards" for less money than the cost of your share built to their standards. Another thing is once you take cost share you must maintain the practice for what they consider the life of the practice. In some cases this is a long long time.

I am not saying they are bad, it is just like everything else in life. There is no free lunch. A person needs to have both eyes open when working with them.

Latest posts