Now we look at 4.00 a GAL

Help Support CattleToday:

skyeagle

Reaction score
Just when I thought they ran out of excuses to raise the
price of fuel. Lets just shut down a pipeline.
They did it before with no big price increase.
But now the price of oil will go up. Maybe we should hold
back on sell cattle for three or four weeks.

Well...it could happen!

As fuel gets more expensive, most of us will need to priortize our running around (aka "medical triage"):

• 1. What MUST be done (in way of trips).
    2. What NEEDS to be done.
    3. What SHOULD be done.
    4. What we WANT to be done.
    5. What would be NICE to have done.
Everyone has their own priority list.

There was a day you could pull up to a "service station" and get a drink from the water fountain. Now a bottle of water is the option and its well over $1. My uncle was riding with me and asked me to stop at a convenience store and went in for water. The bottled water was going to cost something like $1.19 (over $8 a gallon) but cokes were on sale for less than half that. It really ticked him off. He didn't buy anything and wound up drinking tea out of my ice chest.

It it truly hits $4 a gallon, I'll have to buy some of it. No choice but to do so.

Herefordcross":22h3iwyp said:
Bottom Line=In our business you have to drive almost daily, whether tractor or truck or ATV

:? What ever happened to horses? :?

;-)

I think I will start training the mules to pull a wagon, wondering if I can get a buffer in there and make it to stores on time.

maybe instead of raising beef cattle I should start raising and training Oxen and sell those to people. :)

BP

I wish I had a job that did not need to haul stuff and drive so far every night or I would for sure start riding my Mule to work.

Last year we spent around $20,000.00 on gas scared to know what this year totals are going to be.

J":2uquokks said:
;-)

You'ld be surprised. There are still a few folks out there, besides the Amish and certain Menonite sects, that use horses and mules for their work.

Katherine

J":1egyum7q said:
Herefordcross":1egyum7q said:
Bottom Line=In our business you have to drive almost daily, whether tractor or truck or ATV

;-)

Hay costs more than gas in a lot of areas. :shock:

msscamp":2852031t said:
J":2852031t said:
Herefordcross":2852031t said:

;-)

And some places I hear you have to have a diaper on your horse.

dun

msscamp":chddq46k said:
J":chddq46k said:
Herefordcross":chddq46k said:

;-)

I wish that was the problem here,can hardly give hay away,and gas at the pumps is $5.35 a gallon :mad: .

:mad: Went to a horse show sunday-- cost us $80.00 to get
there and back :mad: on a better note, we did get several
second places, not bad for home bred-trained horses competing
against those "high dollar horses". ;-)

J":2u5uc3bk said:
Herefordcross":2u5uc3bk said:

;-)

Try putting a gooseneck hitch on a horse! :lol:

cfpinz

cfpinz":gvh92ic1 said:
J":gvh92ic1 said:
Herefordcross":gvh92ic1 said:

;-)

Try putting a gooseneck hitch on a horse! :lol:

cfpinz

I tried once, but the goose didnt like it. :lol:

I am curious though. I know there are people on here who work the ground with mules. How many acres do you guys do like that? Someone mentioned, they had a kid working for them that thought it was really cool to use the mules. I guess I am a kid at heart, because I think its prety cool as well.

Workinonit Farm":5pl3b1cu said:
J":5pl3b1cu said:
;-)

You'ld be surprised. There are still a few folks out there, besides the Amish and certain Menonite sects, that use horses and mules for their work.

Katherine

I wish I could find a good set of working horses in my part of the country, maybe I could pull all the timber out of this ravine I have. The timber industry will not cut anything if they cant drive to it.

The gas crunch has everyone cutting corners and planning better to make the dollar do more.

I make one trip to get fuel for my truck and carry a 55 gal drum with me on the same trip for my tractor.

Hay costs more than gas in a lot of areas. :shock:[/quote]
I wish that was the problem here,can hardly give hay away,and gas at the pumps is $5.35 a gallon :mad: .[/quote]

Yeh but that's Canadian dollars. Would be considerably less if you used real money. I remember the time when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. What happened?

Here's a horse - type question for everyone.
If the Amish use horses for everything, how do they get livestock to the market ? I know there are markets in the Sugarcreek Area of Ohio but I was wondering how they hauled their stock to it !?!?!

Bullbuyer":hxqpjk4o said:
Here's a horse - type question for everyone.
If the Amish use horses for everything, how do they get livestock to the market ? I know there are markets in the Sugarcreek Area of Ohio but I was wondering how they hauled their stock to it !?!?!

My guess would be that they drive them to market just like the cattle drives of old.

They pull the horses behind their buggies. And call common people, to haul their cattle to market but, usually their cattle are moved from farm to farm and then eaten in the end.

Latest posts