novice with a calf problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Teri

Reaction score
I am helping a friend with a calf which is about 3-4 months old. He has been laying down, is small compared to the other calves and is very weak. We're not sure if he is nursing or not or if the mother is producing milk. He goes over to her but doesn't actually nurse. He won't take a bottle, he doesn't have the ability to suck so we poured some of the drink and he swallowed it fine. He is urinating so we know he is getting something. I am 2 days into the "cattle" business and any help would be appreciated. My friend said he was going to see if he would eat some pellets tonight and give him some more of the drink.

If he is 3 - 4 months old you could see if he will eat enough calf starter grain & hay. Are you mixing milk replacer & putting it in a bucket? I would give electrolytes for a couple days to keep him from getting dehydrated. Of course you need to check his temp to see if he is fighting off something that may need antibiotics to help him feel better. Have you tried milking the cow to see if you get much milk?

Latest posts