Novalsan (sp?)

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I have a new customer-- he wants me to disinfect processing tools with Novalsan.
Usually just I do whatever the customer wants- - if it doesn't hurt my wallet.

But..... I bought a bottle and read the warning label. I DON'T want to even be around that stuff.
If you get it on you you have to rinse for 15 minutes then head to the emergency room.

Won't 91% alcohol(what we use now) do just as well? His main concern is PI BVD calves and cross contamination.

Kinda want my ducks in a row before I talk to him about it.

Well, I guess I escaped a certain brush with death (that's what the warning label makes it sound like doesn't it?) when I mixed it up (per instructions) and sprayed all of my calf hutches with it...inside and out, then used a mop to spread it around, as the wind blew, while wearing shorts and a shirt with no sleeves in it. :shock:

I'll admit, I just now read the warning label, right after I read your post. I'm bad about stuff like that. :( However, one would think that if the stuff was that virulent, some sort of applicator's or handler's license would be required to even purchase it.

Anyway, that's my experience with Novalsan.

Alice

We used to use it in the vet hospital to disinfect and we never had any side effects. The whole line of products works great.

Which Nolvasan? All are chlorhexidine of some formation. The disinfectant liquid is used by all or at least most all vets (it's that blue stuff) for scrubbing surgical sites and sterilizing surgical tools.

The generic brands are cheaper than the name brand and there's literally no difference...FWIW.

I wouldn't worry about it - never had any side effects from handling the stuff - and I'm sure if it was really dangerous my vet would have commented on it when I've handed him tools while he was doing surgeries. :p

Boy, I use tons of the stuff when using it, never being 'careful' and I'm still alive and kicking with no ill side effects. We used it in the vet's I used to work for too for surgeries and tool disinfectants. Plus I use it for naval dips when my goats kid.

99% or 91% Isopropal alcohol should be fine for sanitizing and sterilizing. 3% peroxide, bleach and alcohol will all work fine.