Notill

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I have some wheat ground that I'll need to plant something on this summer.

Can I notill drill millet or something and not have to plow it, maybe spray it to kill the weeds first ?

What I have done is run the drill with the colters down to make slices in the sod but taken the drop tubes off of the small seed box and just let them sprinkle down. Millet is so fine seeded that it's hard to get it as shallow as it needs to be using a drill.

A COUPLE OF MY PRODUCERS WHO DO A LOT OF ANNUALS FOR GRAZING, BOTH COOL SEASON AND WARM SEASON, NO TILL BOTH SEASONS WITH NO PROBLEMS...

A COUPLE OF MY PRODUCERS WHO DO A LOT OF ANNUALS FOR GRAZING, BOTH COOL SEASON AND WARM SEASON, NO TILL BOTH SEASONS WITH NO PROBLEMS...
do you want to graze it or make hay from it?

Thanks
I'm still debating on whether to keep a little bit in cultivation and notill annuals or put it all in Bermuda and overseed rye grass
Im wanting winter grazing and I don't think the rye grass will do that

Cross-7":2n1mgo2z said:

Can I notill drill millet or something and not have to plow it, maybe spray it to kill the weeds first ?

We plant millet or haygrazer on the same ground behind oats with good success.
Usually only cultivate in fall and notill in spring.
I much prefer the hagrazer over millet

I have a program of replanting my run down pastures. I put them to both summer and winter forage cereals for a few seasons to control the seed bank of weeds before putting them back to pasture. I work the ground up initially to plant the first crop but then at the end of the season I bale it then graze it hard, spray it out with glyphosate then drill the seed straight into the stubble. I think the soil structure improves after each crop with the no till.

Ken

Cross-7":2opkzema said:

probably not telling you anything you don't already know...

I'd say critical element would be moisture then soil type. I was playing with notilling winter grazing into pastures prior to 2010 with promising results even with unreliable moisture. However spring plantings were not good because I wasn't getting timely rains. Takes more moisture as temps get hotter than it does when temps fall.

There is some type of grass growing in it right now.
I sprayed it with glyphosate a couple times this summer.
I didn't put it in wheat with plans of putting it in Bermuda this spring but there is lots of green winter grass growing. I don't know what it is but I turned the cows in on it and they are doing good on it.

This is what's growing
I'm not sure what it is but it's growing well and the cows have been grazing it hard

sure looks like fescue to me. Being a cool season grass it should be growing this time of year. It will slow down some when the weather gets too cold though. It will still grow but you will hardly be able to notice unless you measure it with calipers.

dun":4ra6id9h said:
sure looks like fescue to me. Being a cool season grass it should be growing this time of year. It will slow down some when the weather gets too cold though. It will still grow but you will hardly be able to notice unless you measure it with calipers.

I'm new here so I really don't know but I think I'm too far south and west for fescue.
We had lots of it east of Tulsa and I think this is different
But I really don't know for sure

pick a blade and run your fingers the length of it. If it's raspy feeling it's fescue

Latest posts