Not sure what is going on

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I noticed that my new bull was off his feed. I put it out and he barely even looked at it and would not even eat any. He was getting around kind of slow too. I also noticed he had diarrhea pretty bad. I pulled the feed and let him just eat hay all day yesterday and today. His diarrhea was much better this evening and I put some more feed out. He came to the trough like he was hungry. He ate about half and turned away. He is getting around better. I'm not sure what is going on. He has been on this feed for 2 weeks with no indication of anything but spunk and health. I am going to watch him for a couple days. If he doesn't seem to be back to the way he was or quits showing improvement I am going to have the vet out. Too big of an investment to let anything happen.

Hoss your not having good luck with your bulls lately. Feed isnt new or not mixed properly or something? Hope every thing works out.

He is on Beef Builder,a bagged feed from Co-Op. He has been eating it for two weeks and showed no signs of problems until yesterday.

I would do that too Hoss. Keep him on hay for a few days and see if he perks up , stools harder and has some interest in a little grain.

Maybe he is lonely . ;-)

All kidding aside , maybe he was not pushed as hard as you thought he was and is just an easy flesher , which means you bought a heck of a good bull that will do well on pasture and some good hay . :tiphat:

Hoss I'm certainly not a nutritionist but I googled the beef builder and it only said grain by products so I would guess that would vary depending on price and a availability, as long as the analysis stayed the same

You didn't say how much he was getting, but my GUESS would be either the ingredients in the feed changed and has too much starch and causing him to scour or He is getting too much grain and got his rumen upset

But it maybe totally unrelated to feed, he maybe sick
I'd keep him off grain and get a temp
If you have a bunch in him I wouldnt hesitate to get a vet to check him out

Hope that wasnt just stating the obvious and telling you what you already know

Hoss,

I had a heifer act the same way a while back. She had loose stool and would come to the feed trough and acted hungry but wouldn't eat. I thought she'd get better but she never did. After she died I had her tested and it turned out to be hardware disease. I would put a magnet in him if it was me. I hope it's not the case but I wanted to share my two cents. I know two dairy farmers who give a magnet to EVERYTHING that goes off feed for a day or two. Hope he gets better real soon! Let us know how it goes.

Kyle

He seemed to be better today. He was waiting at the feed trough when I got home. I cut his ration back and added some baking soda to it. His stool is almost normal and he is moving around more. I will still keep an eye on him.

Latest posts