not eating

Help Support CattleToday:

lindashorthorn

Reaction score
Ok so my steer is not eating his feed its been almost two weeks of not eating... He looks at it or sniffs it and doesnt want it...im feeding him hay as well but he only wants hay but hes lost soooo much weight...im feeding him steer chow...idk whats going on....its been raining alot and is cold which rare where i live but idk whats wrong and sifting is about a month away

1. if he's losing a lot of weight, is he not eating much hay either? or is he still eating a reasonable amount of hay?

2. was he ever eating the feed and quit or did you never have him up on the feed?

3. what's his stool like?

Well, I have no idea what sifting is, or whether it will cure your problem, but I'm guessing, if he's not eating, in 30 days he's going to have 4 feet in the air. You don't state where you're from, so can't guess on weather or whether it has anything to do with your situation. Now this has went on for 2 weeks, so evidently you have very little experience with cattle, so you may get 6 guesses on what's wrong with your steer, and by the time you work your way thru all 6, you'll probably be too late to save him, so my suggestion is , CALL A VET, and soon.

I live in zapata, texas... Hes eating but very little. He eats about 4hay ostacks a day.. hes only eaten grain... He stoped for a week and ate again the next week and atopped the next week.. and i j wanted to know if anyone knew anything bfore i went to vet.. weve given him paste to eat more as well but he

So I guess you hav'nt called a vet yet, so if you're looking for something to try and is cheap, stick a magnet in him, along with a shot of penicillin, then call a vet, before you have to buy a shovel.

Latest posts