Not Bragging -- Just Facts

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Our 16 year old Longhorn Cow, "Senator's Symbol" (Senator X Superior Symbol) had 2 calves in 2006. First in January (heifer) and second in December (heifer). She has been a consistent, quick breed back top cow for us.

At any moment (due to age and sagging...lol) she always looks about 2 years pregnant...lol. However, doesn't stop her at all.

We're looking for a few more from her before she passes to that Cattle Heaven in the sky.

She's very mild-mannered, and an excellent mama with a great bag.

:)

thats not all that unusual but congratulations on a good cow. keep them heifers.

have you ever noticed that not all daughters produce like mom. i had some that bred like that and mom and one daughter were just alike but the others never would measure up. sire has alot to do with that ????

jcarkie":3pe5cm4l said:
have you ever noticed that not all daughters produce like mom. i had some that bred like that and mom and one daughter were just alike but the others never would measure up. sire has alot to do with that ????

I think besides the sire, just the particular genetic nick makes a difference. Had one old cow that alwasy raised one of the top calves, her daughters, no matter who the sire was always raised the bottom percentage calves.
Ain;t genetics a wonderfull thing? That's why I can;t get all jazzed up about flushing. The calves can run the gambit from exceptional to mediocre.

dun

i was looking at a catalog and they had flushes from virgin heifers and then she was pregnant with her first calf.she was for sale too. how do they know, like you said genetics are so hard to predict.

jcarkie":3kqzj3lh said:
i was looking at a catalog and they had flushes from virgin heifers and then she was pregnant with her first calf.she was for sale too. how do they know, like you said genetics are so hard to predict.

They don't. Thats why she's "for sale". Somebody will buy her, proberbly for a high price, she's been flushed, she must be "donor quality". If she was, I doubt they would be selling her.

Latest posts