Not a wedge...(shorthorn heifer)

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
Is anyone else out there breeding RA/Shorthorn crosses? Our goal is just to have some nice F1 cows, but so far we can only find one or the other so we're making our own. The RA are not hard to find but the Shorthorns have been a different story. They're around, but they're used as show cattle and the breeding standards seem quite different. One example is that high bw and pulled calves are acceptable or even normal. And if there is a big name somewhere in the pedigree, the prices are ridiculous.

This heifer is 9 mos. old and weighed 89 lbs. at birth. Is this what you'd call "open shouldered?" They look knobby, large and wideset to me...

1932869.jpg

1932942.jpg

You really have to see them from the front with the head down grazing, but it looks like she may very well be a bit open shouldered. She is certainly a little coarse shouldered

2/B or not 2/B":3r5pdh8d said:
Is anyone else out there breeding RA/Shorthorn crosses? Our goal is just to have some nice F1 cows, but so far we can only find one or the other so we're making our own. The RA are not hard to find but the Shorthorns have been a different story. They're around, but they're used as show cattle and the breeding standards seem quite different. One example is that high bw and pulled calves are acceptable or even normal. And if there is a big name somewhere in the pedigree, the prices are ridiculous.

This heifer is 9 mos. old and weighed 89 lbs. at birth. Is this what you'd call "open shouldered?" They look knobby, large and wideset to me...

1932869.jpg

1932942.jpg

If you feel like driving to Colo my partner has some dandies. I'll try to post a few pictues. In fact I posted one the other day. did yu see her.

Here is a RA cross on the left he has a little Char in him, he is one of mine the Red heifer on the right is one of my partners sheis RA/Shorthorn. I will try to post more pics of her later

DSCF0019_edited.jpg

3waycross":218kylz6 said:
If you feel like driving to Colo my partner has some dandies. I'll try to post a few pictues. In fact I posted one the other day. did yu see her.

No, I didn't see her but I'd like to. A RA/Shorthorn heifer sold in a sale I went to recently. I liked her a lot but we bought some older SH cows instead. Investing in heifers is expensive and time consuming, plus she was a Cherokee Canyon daughter. That was supposed to be some great selling point, but to me it wasn't. We pick up a heifer now and then if we come across a great deal, but the pickings are slim.

2/B or not 2/B":2e0zzdqt said:
3waycross":2e0zzdqt said:

No, I didn't see her but I'd like to. A RA/Shorthorn heifer sold in a sale I went to recently. I liked her a lot but we bought some older SH cows instead. Investing in heifers is expensive and time consuming, plus she was a Cherokee Canyon daughter. That was supposed to be some great selling point, but to me it wasn't. We pick up a heifer now and then if we come across a great deal, but the pickings are slim.

Well here she is. BTW I agree with you on the Cherokee Canyon Dtr. That bull has some of the worst EPD's in the breed for CED, I wouldn't have one of them on the place.

IMG00009-20090625-1501.jpg

2/B or not 2/B":2lfa96aq said:
Investing in heifers is expensive and time consuming, plus she was a Cherokee Canyon daughter. That was supposed to be some great selling point, but to me it wasn't. We pick up a heifer now and then if we come across a great deal, but the pickings are slim.

2B, I've always kind of had a pet peave with those that name drop good stock to try and pump up something. Bottom line is the stock is either good or not. It doesn't matter who's in their bloodline, they could still be a dud. I'm no expert on Shorthorns, but the first heifer seems a little lacking in capacity to me. Good luck on your heifer hunt though.

Latest posts