Not a great week

Help Support CattleToday:

Herford×Angus

Reaction score
All started about a 10 days ago had a cow that looked sick and didnt eat. I put her in a pen with a bale, i didnt see her eat but she looked full so i thought she was ok, a week later she had sunken eyes so I called the vet she said might be acidosis. Made sense because i had been feeding some barley greenfeed all winter in the snow, so when it started melting i saw the cows going back eating all the grain and hay trampled into the snow during the winter. We took her tempreture to rule out an infection, temp was normal. At this point she couldn't get up anymore so we tubed her with water and meds. The cow died shortly after. Today I had a breech heifer, got the vet to come help out. She's great! Took her about ten minutes to get the calf out. But it was dead. Lucky there was another calf in there still alive :D. So when i dragged the dead calf to where I had disposed of the dead cow... I was in for a nasty surprise!!
23sal2u.jpg
looks like she had a full term calf in her birth canal!! But she showed no sings of calving at all no udder or any indication she was even close. So never crossed my mind to check her. Or is it posible that post mortem bloating pushed the calf into that position?? Post mortem credits go to the coyots

That's pretty nasty. Maybe next time put a warning in the thread title for those not expecting such a picture. For a far as the calf's head is out the back end, you basically know that it was the bloating that sent it out that far.

That really sucks. Sorry - hope you enjoy your new baby. BTW, what sex is the surviving calf and what sex of the dead one? Just asking because if they are opposite sex, and the live one is a heifer, she most likely is a free-martin (non-breeder).

You called it Aaron I talked to my vet and she said the bloating definitely pushed the calf out. Makes me feel a little better that she didn't die because of calving issues.
It was a bull and a heifer Jeanne but only the bull survived. Had another set of twins again bull and heifer, 3rd set so far. Last year I only had 4 cows with twins, 3 so far and I'm only 12% done, 1 out of 5 cows with twins!
The last cow is only taking one calf the other one can't stand seems like one of his hind legs isn't working right. I fed it some colostrum so hoping it will make it as a bottle calf

Latest posts