Northern states and Canada should get a light show

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/north ... -1.2763354

http://www.capitalwired.com/geomagnetic ... ted/22085/

The more recent of the two solar blasts was a powerful X1.6-class flare that erupted on Sept. 10 at 17:46 UT (1:45 p.m. ET), reported the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.

The initial UV radiation from the explosion disturbed high-frequency radio communications for more than an hour on the side of the Earth facing the sun, reported spaceweather.com, a space weather news site maintained by Tony Phillips, who also writes NASA's Science News.

The CME itself was expected to arrive late Friday, and was expected to give rise to a strong geomagnetic storm Saturday that could disrupt power systems, GPS and high-frequency radio communication, the Space Weather Prediction Center reported shortly before 1 a.m. ET Thursday.

It added that auroras may be seen as far south as Pennsylvania, Iowa and Oregon as a result of the storm.

An earlier CME erupted from an M-class flare, the second-most-powerful kind, Tuesday at 00:30 UTC (8:45 p.m. ET Sept. 8). It was expected to graze the Earth, causing a minor solar storm starting Friday.

Both solar flares erupted from a sunspot called AR2158. Sunspots are darker, cooler areas of the sun where solar flares generally erupt.

I read about this. Said the sunny side of earth facing the blast when it hits could have some problems. This could be interesting. I figure this is all from global warming or styrofoam cups.

Oh thanks for the heads up! It is too cool to see these things up here, they take up the whole northern sky, takes your breath away!

The first time I ever saw the northern lights my first love and I were laying on a blanket on the north shore of Lake Superior. Been 42 years, and somethings you never forget.

highgrit":2ad9sdxx said:
The first time I ever saw the northern lights my first love and I were laying on a blanket on the north shore of Lake Superior. Been 42 years, and somethings you never forget.
Looking forward to the rest of that story. :mrgreen: :lol2:

It would be nice to be back in Alaska this weekend. It will be an awesome show if the skies are clear.

Latest posts