North Dakota Weather News

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of North Dakota state after the recent snow storm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 24" inches of snow and winds to 50 MPH that broke trees in half, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed all roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come....
FEMA staged nothing....
No one howled for the government...
No one even uttered an expletive on TV...
Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....
No one looted....
Phil Cantori of the Weather Channel did not come....
And Geraldo Rivera did not move in.

Nope, we just melted snow for water, sent out caravans to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars, fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Aladdin lamps, and put on an extra layer of clothes because up here it is 'work or die'. We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early...we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% most of the world's social problems evaporate."

i am an old northerner who can relate. Anyone else ever had to tie a rope from the house to the barn to find your way back after milking? Had to go out with the neighbors after the blizzard to round up cattle that got snow blind and walked over the fence?

Have absolutely nothing bad to say about all those hard working people involved in the string of hurricanes in the south, but I am getting a little tired of hearing about Katrina as if it is the only catastrophic event that happened in the US this year. Seems like you people in TX, NE, CA and FL know how to deal with your own. Probably take some heat from those of you in LA, but my comments are not made to offend.

CW

joe":2rvsr4m1 said:
i am an old northerner who can relate. Anyone else ever had to tie a rope from the house to the barn to find your way back after milking? Had to go out with the neighbors after the blizzard to round up cattle that got snow blind and walked over the fence?

Once or twice! ;-) Those blizzards provided some good lessons in poker, too!

RainMan":wlummixv said:
Have absolutely nothing bad to say about all those hard working people involved in the string of hurricanes in the south, but I am getting a little tired of hearing about Katrina as if it is the only catastrophic event that happened in the US this year. Seems like you people in TX, NE, CA and FL know how to deal with your own. Probably take some heat from those of you in LA, but my comments are not made to offend.

CW

I'm close enough to give an opinion on this. I totally agree with the above post but it needs to be expanded on. Its not the majority of the folks in LA. It was the State Gov. and the Scum of New Orleans. A lot of good folks in N.O. You didn't hear about them. The "newsworthy" ( well enough said we all know the rest.

One of my best friends is a cattle farmer but is also a volunteer at the local fire department. He signed up for the relief effort dealing with hurricane Wilma. I talked to him last night. He is making great money, getting about 50 hours overtime each week. His job the last few days has been standing on a street corner in a neighborhood of multimillion dollar homes that were slightly damaged and handing out brochures trying to get people to sign up for FEMA money. Yesterday a guy in a Mercedes stopped and asked him if FEMA will pay for his 4,000 dollar deductible on roof damage. People need help, but there is so much waste, it is incredible

Latest posts