Non taxable structures

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
Looking to put a conex or carport near my working pens to keep things organized. Also not wanting to raise my property tax to do so. What do you use or recommend?

We had a loafing shed built as a "non permanent structure". They laid a U shaped cement base and the shed is built out of huge concrete blocks that link together (think Leggo's), then added a tin roof secured with 2x6's. Technically, it can be moved piece by piece. We protested our taxes this year (believe it or not you can fight City Hall) and while the shed was not included they did say that assessments have changed & it may still be considered permanent the next time they do a valuation on that part of the property. Soooo, you may want to just contact your County Appraiser and ask.

Our county assessor considers sheds built on skids to be permanent and taxable. His feeling is that yes technically their not permanent, but in reality they are. Probably could be fought at board of review.

i try to hide my stuff behind locked gates, but now they use airplanes :(

Our code enforcer uses google world and can spot illegal tire dumps on property,so spotting a building would be no problem.

Here the "moveable buildings" are pretty much not taxed. Things on skids etc. If you put a foundation under them or even put them on piers, then they are taxed. A pole barn doesn't need a building permit, it is doesn't have a foundation, but can be taxed after being built. There are so many different rules in every different county and town/city. You have to check with your tax assessor to see what the existing rules are at the time. Then if they change the rules, you can often be "grandfathered " in for tax purposes.

Latest posts