Nominations are open

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
So, does anybody have any idea about the democratic process involved in electing a new boss cow? Old boss was a senior citizen. She came off pasture a bit thin this fall. Made it through the preg check but the last cold snap we had was just a bit too tough on her. I think she had Wooden Tongue and within a matter of a few days she went from thin to skeletal and got that look in the eyes that says you should fetch your gun. So, I told her that she'd been a good cow and served me well and shot her in the head. I haven't had to move the herd yet and so I don't know if a new leader has been chosen or who it is. So, how does the new boss cow get elected? Any ideas?

will prolly be the most flighty cow you have ,will move up in rank and take everyone the wrong way,thats the way it seems to work here :shock:

Cattle Rack Rancher":3omw2fpe said:
So, does anybody have any idea about the democratic process involved in electing a new boss cow? Old boss was a senior citizen. She came off pasture a bit thin this fall. Made it through the preg check but the last cold snap we had was just a bit too tough on her. I think she had Wooden Tongue and within a matter of a few days she went from thin to skeletal and got that look in the eyes that says you should fetch your gun. So, I told her that she'd been a good cow and served me well and shot her in the head. I haven't had to move the herd yet and so I don't know if a new leader has been chosen or who it is. So, how does the new boss cow get elected? Any ideas?

I don't think it's a democratic process. :lol: I think she has to pretty well "push" her way into the position. We've sold the boss cow several times over the last few years. The replacement generally will be an older, more agressive cows. One four year old did take over after we sold a ten year old boss. She was the daughter of a former boss cow, she was bigger than most of our cows and she was definitely a step out front type cow. I'm not sure we have one boss right now. They seem to follow different cows at different times.

cowwrangler":oy4hfo0x said:
will prolly be the most flighty cow you have ,will move up in rank and take everyone the wrong way,thats the way it seems to work here :shock:

I completely agree with this statement. The trouble makers usually take charge and command the rest of the bunch. Occasionally in calf bunches I will see heifers leading over the bull calves. The usually eat last and eat alone (meaning they do not allow the others to eat).

We had to sell 1/2 of our herd in Sept 2006 because of the abundance of rain from April- December and the lack of dry hay.

The person who came to pick out the cows she wanted loaded our boss cow with the group. That cow was the smallest we had--perhaps 1,000 lbs, maybe.

I thought for sure the bossy angus would take over.
My 2nd guess was # 103 a large Hereford matriach.
3rd guess was a baldy who hated dogs, kids and turkeys.

When we moved the cows to a new pasture and they had to cross a road and and then walk up another road about 1/4 mile I really hoped a level headed cow would lead the herd.

I opened the field gates and stood in the road stopping traffic. For about 4 minutes none of the cows would step into the first road.

And then the most amazing thing happened.

One of my young Simmental cows pushed thru from the back of the herd and stepped into the road and started the cow parade all the way to the next field.

Of course I thought this was a one shot occurance.

It wasn't.

"Gracie B" leads the way each and every time we move cows--which is often in the summer.

However, she is still beat up by older cows at the hay rack.

Let me know who emerges as your boss cow.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1za2r3i2 said:
i got a simular situation with a ol boss that is fixin too roll. funny thing as old and frail as she is, the big stout younger cows move aside when she walks by . but she did work hard at establishing herself . and it took a little toll on her legs . she could lay down a ass wippin in her younger years . wont know till she's gone i guess who will step up.

At present, Brownie, a 7 yr old commercial range cow, is firmly in control. When she looks at you, it's pure satan in her eyes, and a shake of her head says "get behind me". Right now however, I have a 14 month old Brangus heifer thinking she just might want the job. Been a lot of shoving and pushing going on between the two, though I may help the process. Been thinking of taking Brownie to the sale. Costs been going up, and I'm tempted to stay with the younger girls only.

Granny has been the lead cow since we got her. SHe wasn;t granny then though. If I pull her out of the herd and run her away from the others, doesn;t matter if it's a day or a couple of months, as soon as she goes back in the rest of the herd she's once again in control. The previous number one then fights everyone excpet her so she can retain that second spot. Never have seen Granny fight, she just walks in and the others back away. Good thing she doesn;t, at 18 she doesn;t have the legs she once had.

I feel somewhat safe in saying that my boss or dominant cows are not necessarily the lead cows.

Mable will come from anywhere at a run when I call becasue she is a food hog and me calling them usually translates into a new pasture or something. Several run along behind her but she is certainly not the dominant cow. she is usually the lead cow.

The dominant cows are usually in the second wave.

The cows that hang back and don't want to come are in neither of the above groups. They are the ones that always have a mind to sneak around the hill or get behind a tree or just go the other way. but we don't have many of them at all anymore.

But then I handle my cows a good bit differently as some of you might have guessed from previous posts I have made.

Go down to the auction barn, may take a few trips. Sooner or later you will know her when you see her. Should have a set of heavy sharp horns, be of fare size, have that evil look in her eyes, chase the ring man over the cables. She will be the boss cow. Maybe even the boss of the rancher :???: :???: Then maybe time to get the gun again. :nod:

IMHO

anything at an aution barn should be headed in a direction other than my property.

People take their problems there.....not their prize stock.

mnmtranching":2m0hgsg7 said:
Go down to the auction barn, may take a few trips. Sooner or later you will know her when you see her. Should have a set of heavy sharp horns, be of fare size, have that evil look in her eyes, chase the ring man over the cables. She will be the boss cow. Maybe even the boss of the rancher :???: :???: Then maybe time to get the gun again. :nod:

Well, then I consider myself fortunate. I don't even need to go to the sale barn to get that cow, I already have her. In fact, after being chased last spring, I cut her horns off thinking that it might improve her attitude but it just made her more squirrelly than she was before. It used to be that she was only real bad for a few weeks after calving but last fall, she took after me and that was months past calving season. So, she was supposed to go on the truck last fall when the calves got shipped, but they went to an Angus presort sale and she's a Shorthorn cow...and then the snow came and the wind blew and now my corral and loading chute is full of snow. So, I guess I'll be calving her out in the bull pen. That way, I'll only get chased across the pen and not in the open pasture and after she has calved and the snow is gone, I'll ship her to the sale barn and somebody else can have the pleasure of owning a pre trained and slightly used boss cow of their own. ;-)

I find the comments about the boss cow having that look in her eye and being mean as a snake. Ours just ignores people. If I move them I wave a white stick over my head and she starts coming but acts like meer humans don;t exist. But dogs, yotes, possums, turkeys or anything else that isn't human or a cow is in trouble.

Sometimes these posts are so close to home, it is like you guys are riding in the backseat of my truck while we are checking cows.

Sunday we moved the bull and two bred cows back to the cows that calved in December to re-breed. Our boss cow is "Bossy" and is a big ol springer rib Angus cross. She is dog gentle but wont let you touch her for nothing. She had a good size bull calf this time and is starting to get a little pulled down. We have a long legged young Angus cross that challenged her a year ago but lost.

Well, the fight was on Sunday. Bossy got knocked down a couple of times and I was beginning to worry about a broken leg. Not sure who won yet, they are still pushing each other around.

I hope Bossy wins because I don't like the younger cow.

P.S. Bossy is a grub hog too!

We have had her for three years now, I am guessing she is at least 9 or 10 now. Her first calf was killed by coyotes. Last year she had a little heifer and this year a good size bull calf. She is a good momma, we will keep her for as long as we can. :D

Latest posts