No till drill for pasture improvments

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
Considering purchasing a Land Pride no-till drill to improve my pasture. Would like to hear the pros and cons, as some of you see it. Also, is there a market for drilling in winter pasture for other people. Not the reason I'm thinking of buying it, just wondering if I can make a little money with it, Thanks for any advice.

Are you locked into the Land Pride? If you haven't already, I would suggest looking at a Great Plains. I bought a 1006NT last year and am very pleased with the quality and performance. Around here, everyone has a hay baler, but very few have a no-till drill. I could see making some money on the side; just be sure you get paid for the wear and tear on what is an expensive piece of equipment.

Pros... no-till.

Cons... $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Depends on your soil and what your planting but a good grain drill can do the same some times for a fraction of the cost.

I rent a no-till to put in oats and rye some times. I could never think about justifying the cost. Cheaper to disk it and use a grain drill or sling it with a buggy.

Hogtiming":30ch4qfz said:
I could be wrong but doesn't Great Plains make landpride drills?

Wouldn't surprised and some how Kubota got in on it because the orange drills look exactly like the green ones now.

I don't own one due to cost justification. If I also row cropped, then I could justify. A lot of money just to briefly use. I'd find one to rent or hire someone who had one. Or, sling it as Brute mentioned.

Thanks for all advice.
Do you have to disk to use just a grain drill? I'm wanting to drill in existing pasture, without disking. The one I'm looking at is $7500 new. I don't know of any Great Plans dealers around here, I've got a Land Pride dealer in town.
What would be, in your opinion, a asking price to drill someones land?

If you want it to work you have to disk or at least disturb the ground. That's the whole point in a no till

I have a Great Plains that I bought to do strictly custom work many years ago when I first started my business. Now that I finally have some farming of my own to do I do both with it. I have the 3P605NT which is their 3 point hitch 6' wide model. Bought it that way so it is easy to move. Pull tractor and drill up on a gooseneck and away I go. Also most of my customers have small horse farms so a big drill doesn't work well. It sits a lot but come fall of the year I spend 2 solid months on the tractor. It has been a good investment for me especially now that I get to use it around my farm.

It has bout 4200 acres on it and I am doing some rebuilding on it this year. New coulters and some brackets etc. may need some openers next year. Make sure you cover your wear and tear and that you have a market for it in your area. Also don't rent it out IMO. Also make sure if custom work is in your plans you have time to work it because planting time is short and you gotta hustle to get it done.

Land Pride is the same drill as GP and is a good machine. That price is pretty good not sure what size drill that is. Hope this helps a little.

As far as price it depends on how smooth it is, how many acres they have and how far from the house. Can't run the tractor and drill for much less than $35 an acre and that's at least 20 acres of smooth hayfield close to home. Little cut up fields that are rough can be $75 an acre or more. If you haul it far gotta make sure you cover that too.

SmokinM":1l9y7tdt said:
I have a Great Plains that I bought to do strictly custom work many years ago when I first started my business. Now that I finally have some farming of my own to do I do both with it. I have the 3P605NT which is their 3 point hitch 6' wide model. Bought it that way so it is easy to move. Pull tractor and drill up on a gooseneck and away I go. Also most of my customers have small horse farms so a big drill doesn't work well. It sits a lot but come fall of the year I spend 2 solid months on the tractor. It has been a good investment for me especially now that I get to use it around my farm.

It has bout 4200 acres on it and I am doing some rebuilding on it this year. New coulters and some brackets etc. may need some openers next year. Make sure you cover your wear and tear and that you have a market for it in your area. Also don't rent it out IMO. Also make sure if custom work is in your plans you have time to work it because planting time is short and you gotta hustle to get it done.

Land Pride is the same drill as GP and is a good machine. That price is pretty good not sure what size drill that is. Hope this helps a little.
It's 7 1/2 ft, 3 pt hitch

Just purchased a Lilliston 9670 this week. One owner and kept in the dry, has drilled only 1100 acres.
Have always wanted to have a personal drill but didn't want to invest that much. This one was in such good
condition and the price was right. A real heavy built machine. Looking forward to putting it to use.

rowdyred":27784jv5 said:
SmokinM":27784jv5 said:

It's 7 1/2 ft, 3 pt hitch

That's a steal on the price. I wish I could get that deal here I would replace mine. I think if you have the time paying for it with custom work shouldn't be to hard.

It's a Land Pride-All Purpose Seeder 1586.
$7500...2 years no interest... 2 payments starting next November.

so I guess its a little over 7 feet.

Watched the video on you tube.... looks good to me.

rowdyred":2beeasz0 said:
It's a Land Pride-All Purpose Seeder 1586.
$7500...2 years no interest... 2 payments starting next November.

so I guess its a little over 7 feet.

Watched the video on you tube.... looks good to me.
That is not a no-till drill. Might work good for clover or rye grass, won't work at all for oats, and be marginal on wheat and winter rye. Trying to plant into an existing pasture takes a lot of down pressure on the coulters.

I have no tilled with success for several years with a old JD vanbrunt drill with single Coulter's. the vanbrunt has a pretty good angle on it.Don't even dry with a double Coulter drill.
I've drilled oats, wheat, clover, ryegrass millet and hybrid Sudan. I always drill into very short pasture. As much soil moisture as possible. Depth set to max, most of the air let out of the tires and keep the box full for weight.
Grit is spot on about clover and ryegrass being best. Just common sense as they require less depth.
They most important thing to getting it to work is getting rain. Anything can work with the right rain.
Fwiw..it is very hard on the drill. I've got several in the junk/parts pile. but the drill I'm currently using is a 12 footer. I bought at a farm auction for 50.00. shafts were seized up alot of diesel and a little heat freed it up.

Poor people have poor ways I've been told.

I tried planting before this last rain that we didn't get with my Hay Buster 107. I had the springs so tight for the extra down pressure that the openers were lifting the drill tires off the ground while it was full of seed.
The most important thing is getting a rain, that is a fact.

Like Grit said that is not even close to a no till drill. Works great for prepared seed bed and is better than broadcasting seed on sod but not by much. Would rather have a grain drill and just do it after a rain or even before a rain but it gets hard to see where you have been. Put that money towards a used or new no- till IMO.

SmokinM":3h92kx15 said:
Like Grit said that is not even close to a no till drill. Works great for prepared seed bed and is better than broadcasting seed on sod but not by much. Would rather have a grain drill and just do it after a rain or even before a rain but it gets hard to see where you have been. Put that money towards a used or new no- till IMO.

Agreed..in my above post I was simply giving a example of how I've done it on the cheap. Spending several thousand dollars on a conventional drill and using it as a no till would not be a good idea.

callmefence":jniatho9 said:
SmokinM":jniatho9 said:

Agreed..in my above post I was simply giving a example of how I've done it on the cheap. Spending several thousand dollars on a conventional drill and using it as a no till would not be a good idea.

I was talking about the seeder he was pricing. I have done many acres just like you are doing with great results. That's what I was trying to say is I would rather have a grain drill than the seeder he is looking at but if you are going to spend that money put it towards a true no-till. If you are fortunate enough to have a little moisture before you seed I think you can get as good or better stand with a grain drill, particularly if planting grass. Small grain needs to be deeper usually but a lot of people plant their grass to deep with a no-till and it doesn't come up well. A really nice grain drill here can be had for $1500 or less at the right sale. Getting lost because you cant see the slits is the worst part of a grain drill but a little moisture seems to help that a lot.

Latest posts